Does Product Differentiation Explain the Increase in Exports of Transition Countries?
AbstractThis paper analyzes the increase in transition countries' exports to their nontraditional trade partners. It uses four different measures of product differentiation to determine the extent to which dynamics in product variety explain this phenomenon. It is found that opening up to new trade partners, at first, increases the number of sectors in which trade occurs. This is followed by a brief period of specialization in selected sectors, and finally, an increase in the number of varieties of products in these sectors. It is also found that the increase in product variety in Central and East European country (CEEC) exports has been much more substantial than it has been in the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), consistent with a much larger reorientation of CEEC trade with nontraditional partners.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Eastern European Economics.
Volume (Year): 44 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=106044
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Imre Fertő & Karoly Attila Soos, 2009. "Duration of trade of former communist countries in the EU market," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 31-39.
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/387611 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/386126 is not listed on IDEAS
- Petr Rozmahel & Ludek Kouba & Ladislava Grochová & Nikola Najman, 2013. "Integration of Central and Eastern European Countries: Increasing EU Heterogeneity?," WWWforEurope Working Papers series 9, WWWforEurope.
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/243544 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/242389 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/243529 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/384919 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marialuz Moreno Badia & Veerle Slootmaekers & Ilke Van Beveren, 2008.
"Globalization Drives Strategic Product Switching,"
IMF Working Papers
08/246, International Monetary Fund.
- Veerle Miranda & Marialuz Moreno Badia & Ilke Van Beveren, 2012. "Globalization drives strategic product switching," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(1), pages 45-72, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.