Lessons from the Subprime Meltdown
AbstractThis student of Hyman Minsky uses the late economist's analysis to document the history of the current credit crisis. It amounts to a strong case against deregulation and a thorough understanding of the limits of markets. The author presents recommendations for future public policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Challenge.
Volume (Year): 51 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=106043
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Leszek Kąsek & Marek Lubiński, 2010. "hyman," Contemporary Economics, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 4(1), March.
- James Crotty & Gerald Epstein, 2008.
"Proposals for Effectively Regulating the U.S. Financial System to Avoid Yet Another Meltdown,"
UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers
2008-15, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- James Crotty & Gerald Epstein, 2008. "Proposals for Effectively Regulating the U.S. Financial System to Avoid Yet Another Meltdown," Working Papers wp181, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Eric Tymoigne, 2010. "Detecting Ponzi Finance: An Evolutionary Approach to the Measure of Financial Fragility," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_605, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- James Crotty, 2009.
"Structural causes of the global financial crisis: a critical assessment of the 'new financial architecture',"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 563-580, July.
- James Crotty, 2008. "Structural Causes of the Global Financial Crisis: A Critical Assessment of the ‘New Financial Architecture’," Working Papers wp180, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- James Crotty, 2008. "Structural Causes of the Global Financial Crisis: A Critical Assessment of the ‘New Financial Architecture’," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2008-14, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Eduardo Strachman & José Ricardo Fucidji, 2012.
"The Current Financial And Economic Crisis: Empirical And Methodological Issues,"
Journal of Advanced Studies in Finance,
ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 95-123, June.
- Strachman, Eduardo & Fucidji, José Ricardo, 2010. "The Current Financial and Economic Crisis: Empirical and Methodological Issues," MPRA Paper 27130, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christine Sinapi, 2011. "Institutional Prerequisites of Financial Fragility within Minsky's Financial Instability Hypothesis: A Proposal in Terms of 'Institutional Fragility'," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_674, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- alberto, botta, 2011.
"Fiscal policy, eurobonds and economic recovery: some heterodox policy recipes against financial instability and sovereign debt crisis,"
33860, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alberto Botta, 2011. "Fiscal Policy, Eurobonds and Economic Recovery: Some Heterodox Policy Recipes against Financial Instability and Sovereign Debt Crisis," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf1114, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Juan Pablo Mateo Tomé, 2011. "Financialization as a Theory of Crisis in a Historical Perspective: Nothing New under the Sun," Working Papers wp262, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Iancu, Aurel, 2011. "Models of Financial System Fragility," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(1), pages 230-256, March.
- Özgür Orhangazi, 2011. "“Financial” vs. “Real”: An Overview of the Contradictory Role of Finance," Working Papers wp274, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Calem, Paul & Henderson, Christopher & Liles, Jonathan, 2011. ""Cherry picking" in subprime mortgage securitizations: Which subprime mortgage loans were sold by depository institutions prior to the crisis of 2007?," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 120-140, June.
- Nikola Kojucharov & Clyde F. Martin & Robert F. Martin & Lili Xu, 2009. "The subprime mortgage crisis: irrational exuberance or rational error?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jan.
- Ognjen Radonjić & Miodrag Zec, 2010. "Subprime Crisis and Instability of Global Financial Markets," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 57(2), pages 209-224, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.