Macroeconomic Shocks and Banks' Foreign Assets
AbstractRecent developments in international financial markets have highlighted the role of banks in the transmission of shocks across borders. We employ dynamic panel methods for a sample of OECD countries to analyze whether banks' foreign assets react to macroeconomic shocks at home and abroad. We find that banks reduce their foreign assets in response to a relative increase in domestic interest rates, and they increase their foreign assets when the growth rate of world energy prices rises. The responses are characterized by a temporal overshooting and a dynamic adjustment process that extends over several quarters. Copyright (c) 2010 The Ohio State University.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 42 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Papaioannou, Elias & Perri, Fabrizio, 2012.
"Global Banks and Crisis Transmission,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9044, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ralph de Haas & Neeltje van Horen, 2011.
"Running for the Exit: International Banks and Crisis Transmission,"
DNB Working Papers
279, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Ralph De Haas & Neeltje Van Horen, 2013. "Running for the Exit? International Bank Lending During a Financial Crisis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 26(1), pages 244-285.
- Ralph De Haas & Neeltje Van Horen, 2011. "Running for the exit: international banks and crisis transmission," Working Papers 124, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Claessens, Stijn, 2006. "Competitive implications of cross-border banking," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3854, The World Bank.
- Beatriz de Blas & Katheryn Russ, 2010. "FDI in the Banking Sector," Working Papers 108, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Victor Pontines & Reza Siregar, 2012. "How Should We Bank With Foreigners? An Empirical Assessment of Lending Behaviour of International Banks to Six East Asian Countries," CAMA Working Papers 2012-04, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Victor Pontines & Reza Y. Siregar, 2012.
"How Should We Bank With Foreigners? An Empirical Assessment of Lending Behaviour of International Banks to Six East Asian Economies,"
South East Asian Central Banks (SEACEN) Research and Training Centre, number occ54, June.
- Pontines, Victor & Siregar, Reza Y., 2014. "How should we bank with foreigners? An empirical assessment of lending behavior of international banks to six East Asian economies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 552-568.
- Pontines, Victor & Siregar, Reza Y., 2012. "How Should We Bank With Foreigners?—An Empirical Assessment of Lending Behavior of International Banks to Six East Asian Economies," ADBI Working Papers 386, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Nikolaos Antonakakis & Johann Scharler, 2010.
"The Synchronization of GDP Growth in the G7 during U.S. Recessions. Is this Time Different?,"
Economics working papers
2010-05, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Nikolaos Antonakakis & Johann Scharler, 2010. "The Synchronization of GDP Growth in the G7 during U.S. Recessions. Is this Time Different?," FIW Working Paper series 049, FIW.
- Müller, Oliver & Uhde, André, 2013. "Cross-border bank lending: Empirical evidence on new determinants from OECD banking markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 136-162.
- Sven Blank & Claudia M Buch, 2007.
"International bank portfolios: short- and long-run responses to the business cycle,"
CGFS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Research on global financial stability: the use of BIS international financial statistics, volume 29, pages 128-155
Bank for International Settlements.
- Sven Blank & Claudia M. Buch, 2007. "International Bank Portfolios: Short- and Long-Run Responses to the Business Cycle," IAW Discussion Papers 29, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.