Payments Settlement: Tiering in Private and Public Systems
AbstractWhat are the benefits provided by a payment system? What are the trade-offs in public versus private payment systems and in restricted versus open payments arrangements? Modern payment systems encompass a variety of institutional designs with varying degrees of counterparty protection. We develop a framework that allows for an examination and comparison of payment systems, and specification of conditions leading to their adoption. We relate these conditions to the design of present large-value payment systems (Fedwire, CHIPS, TARGET, etc.). Copyright (c) 2009 The Ohio State University No claim to original US government works.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hiroshi Fujiki, 2010.
"Policy Measures to Alleviate Foreign Currency Liquidity Shortages under Aggregate Risk with Moral Hazard,"
IMES Discussion Paper Series
10-E-04, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Hiroshi Fujiki, 2013. "Policy Measures to Alleviate Foreign Currency Liquidity Shortages under Aggregate Risk with Moral Hazard," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 64(4), pages 504-536, December.
- Ben R. Craig & Goetz von Peter, 2010.
"Interbank tiering and money center banks,"
1014, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Ben R. Craig & Goetz von Peter, 2009. "Interbank tiering and money center banks," Working Paper 0912, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Ben Craig & Goetz von Peter, 2010. "Interbank tiering and money center banks," BIS Working Papers 322, Bank for International Settlements.
- Craig, Ben R. & von Peter, Goetz, 2010. "Interbank tiering and money center banks," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2010,12, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ana Lasaosa & Merxe Tudela, 2008. "Risks and efficiency gains of a tiered structure in large-value payments: a simulation approach," Bank of England working papers 337, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.