Money Demand in Japan and Nonlinear Cointegration
AbstractWe estimate the long-run Japanese money demand function in a cointegration framework with two nonlinear functional forms that allow for the liquidity trap, and compare the results with the standard log-level functional form. In addition to the conventional linear cointegration techniques, we also use a recently developed procedure for nonlinear cointegration that allows the estimation of alternative functional forms under the same assumption regarding the trend properties of the nominal interest rate. The nonlinear functional forms outperform the log-level functional form based on out-of-sample prediction performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 6 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Assenmacher-Wesche, Katrin & Gerlach, Stefan & Sekine, Toshitaka, 2008.
"Monetary factors and inflation in Japan,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 343-363, September.
- Katrin Assenmacher-Wesche & Stefan Gerlach & Toshitaka Sekine, 2007. "Monetary Factors and Inflation in Japan," Working Papers 2007-13, Swiss National Bank.
- Assenmacher-Wesche, Katrin & Gerlach, Stefan & Sekine, Toshitaka, 2008. "Monetary Factors and Inflation in Japan," CEPR Discussion Papers 6650, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kim, Chang Sik & Kim, In-Moo, 2012. "Partial parametric estimation for nonstationary nonlinear regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(2), pages 448-457.
- Nakashima, Kiyotaka & Saito, Makoto, 2009. "On Empirical Implications of Highly Interest-Elastic Money Demand : A Note," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 50(1), pages 29-34, June.
- Nakashima, Kiyotaka & Saito, Makoto, 2012. "On the comparison of alternative specifications for money demand: The case of extremely low interest rate regimes in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 454-471.
- Nan-Kuang Chen & Yu-Hsi Chou & Jyh-Lin Wu, 2013. "Credit Constraint and the Asymmetric Monetary Policy Effect on House Prices," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 431-455, October.
- Inagaki, Kazuyuki, 2009. "Estimating the interest rate semi-elasticity of the demand for money in low interest rate environments," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 147-154, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.