Loan Collateral Decisions and Corporate Borrowing Costs
AbstractWe examine the relation between borrowing costs and the presence of loan collateral. We find the presence of collateral increases with default risk, consistent with low quality borrowers reducing their risks and borrowing costs through the use of collateral. By explicitly controlling for the interdependence between the decision to pledge collateral and borrowing costs, we find that secured loans have predicted spreads substantially lower than if they had been made on an unsecured basis. Alternatively, loans made on an unsecured basis have spreads not substantially different from if they had been secured. The evidence suggests that collateral pledging decisions are generally consistent with borrowing cost minimization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ioana-Maria Dragu & Adriana Tiron Tudor, 2011. "Developing An Econometric Model For Measuring The Evolution Of Information Disclosure - Ias 23 Borrowing Costs -," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 2(13), pages 8.
- Hainz, Christa, 2008. "Bank Competition - When is it Good?," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 244, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Han, Liang & Fraser, Stuart & Storey, David J., 2009. "Are good or bad borrowers discouraged from applying for loans? Evidence from US small business credit markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 415-424, February.
- Masaji Kano & Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F. Udell & Wako Watanabe, 2006.
"Information Verifiability, Bank Organization, Bank Competition and Bank-Borrower Relationships,"
06003, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kano, Masaji & Uchida, Hirofumi & Udell, Gregory F. & Watanabe, Wako, 2011. "Information verifiability, bank organization, bank competition and bank-borrower relationships," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 935-954, April.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Peter J. Montiel, 2006.
"Credit Market Imperfections and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism Part I: Fixed Exchange Rates,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0628, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Peter J. Montiel, 2006. "Credit Market Imperfections and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism Part I: Fixed Exchange Rates," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 76, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Amedeo Argentiero, 2009. "Some New Evidence on the Role of Collateral: Lazy Banks or Diligent Banks?," ISAE Working Papers 113, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Régis Blazy & Laurent Weill, 2006.
"Why Do Banks Ask for Collateral and Which Ones ?,"
Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center
2006-03, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France).
- Neus, Werner & Stadler, Manfred, 2011. "Risk and the role of collateral in debt renegotiation," University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance 16, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Kenneth Daniels & Gabriel Ramirez, 2008. "Information, Credit Risk, Lender Specialization and Loan Pricing: Evidence from the DIP Financing Market," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 35-59, August.
- Meneghetti, Costanza, 2012. "Managerial Incentives and the Choice between Public and Bank Debt," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 65-91.
- Goss, Allen & Roberts, Gordon S., 2011. "The impact of corporate social responsibility on the cost of bank loans," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1794-1810, July.
- Wang, Yu-Lin, 2010. "Does collateral cause inefficient resource allocation?," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 220-233, May.
- Nandy, Debarshi K., 2010. "Why do firms denominate bank loans in foreign currencies? Empirical evidence from Canada and U.K," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 62(6), pages 577-603, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.