On the Launching of a New Currency
AbstractThis paper studies the appropriate way of launching a new fiat currency within a dual currency search-theoretic framework. We demonstrate that legal tender laws may not be sufficient to guarantee the acceptability of the new currency, and that the old currency may continue to circulate if the enforcement power of legal tender laws is weak, and the fraction of individuals endowed with the new currency is too low. The possibility of converting the old currency into the new one can ease the transition to the new currency only if it is combined with strict legal tender laws. Finally, a network externality may generate inefficiencies in the decision to switch to the new currency.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francesco Columba, 2007. "Speed of euro adoption," 2007 Meeting Papers 350, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2002. "Money in Bilateral Trade," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 138(IV), pages 489-506, December.
- Lotz, Sebastien, 2004. "Introducing a new currency: Government policy and prices," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(5), pages 959-982, October.
- Dror Goldberg, 2012. "The tax-foundation theory of fiat money," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 50(2), pages 489-497, June.
- Columba, Francesco, 2007.
"The Speed of Euro Adoption,"
5547, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mikael Stenkula, 2003. "Carl Menger and the network theory of money," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 587-606.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.