A Nonparametric Approach for Assessing Productivity Dynamics of Large U.S. Banks
AbstractThe 1980s marked an era of substantial change for the US commercial banking industry. An issue of considerable interest to banking analysts and economists alike is whether the intensified competitive pressure, generated by deregulation and notable financial innovations, enhanced productivity. To investigate the response to these changes, the non-parametric Malmquist index is used to evaluate productivity dynamics. A statistically significant productivity surge found between 1983 and 1984 is followed by productivity regress the next period; post-1985, sustained productivity progress is observed for the remainder of the decade. Productivity movements are primarily attributable to technological changes rather than scale changes or convergence to the production frontier.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 33 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Das, Abhijit & Banga, Rashmi & Kumar, Dinesh, 2011.
"Global Economic Crisis: Impact and Restructuring of the Services Sector in India,"
ADBI Working Papers
311, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Abhijit Das & Rashmi Banga & Dinesh Kumar, 2011. "Global Economic Crisis : Impact and Restructuring of the Services Sector in India," Trade Working Papers 23225, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Abhijit Das & Rashmi Banga & Dinesh Kumar, 2011. "Global Economic Crisis : Impact and Restructuring of the Services Sector in India," Microeconomics Working Papers 23225, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Luca Casolaro & Giorgio Gobbi, 2004. "Information technology and productivity changes in the Italian banking industry," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 489, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Arias Andrés, 2002. "Banking Productivity and Economic Fluctuations: Colombia 1998-2000," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Kent Matthews & Nina Zhang, 2009.
"Bank Productivity in China 1997-2007: An Exercise in Measurement,"
252009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Matthews, Kent & Zhang, Nina, 2009. "Bank Productivity in China 1997-2007: An Exercise in Measurement," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2009/14, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Kent Matthews & Xu Zhang & Jianguang Guo, 2009.
"Nonperforming Loans and Productivity in Chinese Banks, 1997-2006,"
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(2), pages 30-47, March.
- Matthews, Kent & Guo, Jianguang & Zhang, Nina, 2007. "Non-Performing Loans and Productivity in Chinese Banks: 1997-2006," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2007/30, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Matthews, Kent & Guo, Jianguang & Zhang, Nina, 2007. "Non-Performing Loans and Productivity in Chinese Banks: 1997-2006," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2008/17, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section, revised Aug 2008.
- Daley, Jenifer & Matthews, Kent, 2009. "Measuring post-crisis productivity for Jamaican banks," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2009/29, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Andrés Felipe Arias, 2001. "Banking Productivity And Economic Fluctuations: Colombia 1998-2000," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002050, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.