Inflation and Relative Price Variability: Parks' Study Reexamined
AbstractThe authors show that Richard W. Parks' (1978) widely cited evidence on the correlation between the rate of inflation and the variability of relative prices in the United States during 1948-75 depends on one observation, 1974. When the sample period is extended through 1989, the correlation depends on the observations for 1974 and 1980. Since both are years of large oil price shocks, the authors make the case that causation is likely to run from these shocks to relative price variability and inflation with accommodating monetary policy playing a role. Copyright 1993 by Ohio State University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 25 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John Quiggin, 1997. "The Welfare Effects of Alternative Choices of Instruments and Targets for Macroeconomic Stabilisation Policy," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Philip Lowe (ed.), Monetary Policy and Inflation Targeting Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Grier, Kevin B. & Perry, Mark J., 1996. "Inflation, inflation uncertainty, and relative price dispersion: Evidence from bivariate GARCH-M models," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 391-405, October.
- André Binette & Sylvain Martel, 2005. "Inflation and Relative Price Dispersion in Canada: An Empirical Assessment," Working Papers 05-28, Bank of Canada.
- Talan Iscan & Lars Osberg, 1998. "Does Inflation Affect Output Varibility? Evidence from 40 Years of US Data," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive stabilus, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Koo, Won W. & Cho, Guedae & Kim, MinKyoung, 2005. "Macro Effects on Agricultural Prices in Different Time Horizons," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19349, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Juliane Scharff & Sven Schreiber, 2012.
"Evidence on the effects of inflation on price dispersion under indexation,"
Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 291-311, August.
- Sven Schreiber & Juliane Scharff, 2008. "Evidence on the effects of inflation on price dispersion under indexation," IMK Working Paper 12-2008, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Debelle, Guy & Lamont, Owen, 1997.
"Relative Price Variability and Inflation: Evidence from U.S. Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(1), pages 132-52, February.
- Guy Debelle & Owen Lamont, 1996. "Relative Price Variability and Inflation: Evidence from US Cities," NBER Working Papers 5627, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ivan Stoikov, 2000. "Economic Shocks," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 3, pages 3-29.
- Chaudhuri, Kausik & Daniel, Betty C., 1998. "Long-run equilibrium real exchange rates and oil prices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 231-238, February.
- John H. Rogers & Hayden P. Smith, 2001. "Border effects within the NAFTA countries," International Finance Discussion Papers 698, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Dieter Nautz & Juliane Scharff, 2012.
"Inflation and relative price variability in the euro area: evidence from a panel threshold model,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 449-460, February.
- Scharff, Juliane & Nautz, Dieter, 2006. "Inflation and relative price variability in the euro area: evidence from a panel threshold model," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,14, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Cho, Guedae & Kim, MinKyoung & Koo, Won W., 2003. "Relative Agricultural Price Changes In Different Time Horizons," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22249, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.