Inflation and Its Unpredictability--Theory and Empirical Evidence
AbstractThe effect of inflation on its unpredictability is theoretically ambiguous. Arthur M. Okun (1971) and Milton Friedman (1977) suggest that the effect is positive. However, a negative effect may exist if higher inflation induces the relevant economic agents to invest more in generating accurate predictions. This paper provides a theoretical model to analyze these opposing arguments and specifies the conditions under which a positive effect exists. New survey data regarding inflationary expectations in Israel are used to empirically examine the model. The data, which allow single hypothesis testing of the relationship, reveal a positive effect only in periods of high inflation, indicating a possible threshold effect. Copyright 1993 by Ohio State University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 25 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demetriades, Panikos, 1988. "Macroeconomic aspects of the correlation between the level and variability of inflation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 121-124.
- Pagan, A R & Hall, A D & Trivedi, P K, 1983. "Assessing the Variability of Inflation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 585-96, October.
- Friedman, Milton, 1977. "Nobel Lecture: Inflation and Unemployment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 451-72, June.
- Glezakos, Constantine & Nugent, Jeffrey B., 1984. "Price instability and inflation: The Latin American case," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(7), pages 755-758, July.
- Ibrahim, I B & Williams, Raburn M, 1978. "Price Unpredictability and Monetary Standards: A Comment on Klein's Measure of Price Uncertainty," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 16(3), pages 431-37, July.
- Glezakos, Constantine & Nugent, Jeffrey B., 1987. "The relationship between the rate of inflation and its unpredictability in high inflation Latin American countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 291-293, February.
- Pourgerami, Abbas & Maskus, Keith E., 1987. "The effects of inflation on the predictability of price changes in Latin America: Some estimates and policy implications," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 287-290, February.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1973. "Some International Evidence on Output-Inflation Tradeoffs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 326-34, June.
- Levi, Maurice D & Makin, John H, 1980. "Inflation Uncertainty and the Phillips Curve: Some Empirical Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 1022-27, December.
- Davis, George & Kanago, Bryce, 1998. "High and Uncertain Inflation: Results from a New Data Set," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(2), pages 218-30, May.
- Tsyplakov Alexander, 2010. "The links between inflation and inflation uncertainty at the longer horizon," EERC Working Paper Series 10/09e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Chang, Kuang-Liang, 2012. "The impacts of regime-switching structures and fat-tailed characteristics on the relationship between inflation and inflation uncertainty," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 523-536.
- WenShwo Fang & Stephen M. Miller, 2012.
"Output Growth and Its Volatility: The Gold Standard through the Great Moderation,"
2012-11, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- WenShwo Fang & Stephen M. Miller, 2014. "Output Growth and its Volatility: The Gold Standard through the Great Moderation," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 728-751, January.
- WenShwo Fang & Stephen M. Miller, 2012. "Output Growth and Its Volatility: The Gold Standard through the Great Moderation," Working Papers 1205, University of Nevada, Las Vegas , Department of Economics.
- Guglielmo Caporale & Luca Onorante & Paolo Paesani, 2012.
"Inflation and inflation uncertainty in the euro area,"
Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 597-615, October.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luca Onorante & Paolo Paesani, 2009. "Inflation and Inflation Uncertainty in the Euro Area," CESifo Working Paper Series 2720, CESifo Group Munich.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Paesani, Paolo & Onorante, Luca, 2010. "Inflation and inflation uncertainty in the euro area," Working Paper Series 1229, European Central Bank.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luca Onorante & Paolo Paesani, 2009. "Inflation and Inflation Uncertainty in the Euro Area," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 909, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Koop, Gary & Onorante, Luca, 2011.
"Estimating Phillips Curves in Turbulent Times using the ECB’s Survey of Professional Forecasters,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2011-19, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Gary Koop & Luca Onorante, 2011. "Estimating Phillips Curves in Turbulent Times using the ECBs Survey of Professional Forecasters," Working Papers 1109, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Koop, Gary & Onorante, Luca, 2012. "Estimating Phillips curves in turbulent times using the ECB's survey of professional forecasters," Working Paper Series 1422, European Central Bank.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal & Selmi, Refk, 2013. "Nonlinearities and the nexus between inflation and inflation uncertainty in Egypt: New evidence from wavelets transform framework," MPRA Paper 52414, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Davis, George K & Kanago, Bryce E, 2000. "The Level and Uncertainty of Inflation: Results from OECD Forecasts," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 38(1), pages 58-72, January.
- Conrad, Christian & Karanasos, Menelaos & Zeng, Ning, 2010. "The link between macroeconomic performance and variability in the UK," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 154-157, March.
- Kuang-Liang Chang & Chi-Wei He, 2010. "Does The Magnitude Of The Effect Of Inflation Uncertainty On Output Growth Depend On The Level Of Inflation?," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 78(2), pages 126-148, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.