Income Velocity and Institutional Change: Some New Time Series Evidence, 1870-1986
AbstractThis paper applies tests of cointegration to assess whether institutional factors, in addition to income and an interest rate, explain the long-run behavior of velocity. Over a century of annual data from five industrialized countries are used. Institutional characteristics make a significant contribution to the determination of velocity in all the countries considered. One generally rejects the hypothesis of cointegration between velocity and its traditional determinants but the same hypothesis cannot be rejected when velocity is also a function of institutional change proxies. Tests of coefficient stability also reinforce the validity of the institutional change hypothesis of velocity. Copyright 1993 by Ohio State University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 25 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
Other versions of this item:
- Siklos, P.L., 1991. "Income Velocity and Institutional Change: Some New Time Series Evidence, 1870-1986," Working Papers 91150, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- A.E.Akinlo, 2012. "Financial Development and the Velocity of Money in Nigeria: An Empirical Analysis," The Review of Finance and Banking, Academia de Studii Economice din Bucuresti, Romania / Facultatea de Finante, Asigurari, Banci si Burse de Valori / Catedra de Finante, vol. 4(2), pages 097-113, December.
- Martha Misas Arango & Enrique López Enciso & Luis Fernando Melo velandia, 1999.
"La Inflación Desde Una Perspectiva Monetaria : Un Modelo P* Para Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003028, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha Misas & Enrique López & Luis Fernando Melo, . "La Inflación desde una Perspectiva Monetaria: Un Modelo P* para Colombia," Borradores de Economia 133, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Hunte, C.K, 2011. "The Equation of Exchange: A Derivation," MPRA Paper 43531, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.