Income Velocity and Institutional Change: Some New Time Series Evidence, 1870-1986
AbstractThis paper applies tests of cointegration to assess whether institutional factors, in addition to income and an interest rate, explain the long-run behavior of velocity. Over a century of annual data from five industrialized countries are used. Institutional characteristics make a significant contribution to the determination of velocity in all the countries considered. One generally rejects the hypothesis of cointegration between velocity and its traditional determinants but the same hypothesis cannot be rejected when velocity is also a function of institutional change proxies. Tests of coefficient stability also reinforce the validity of the institutional change hypothesis of velocity. Copyright 1993 by Ohio State University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 25 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
Other versions of this item:
- Siklos, P.L., 1991. "Income Velocity and Institutional Change: Some New Time Series Evidence, 1870-1986," Working Papers 91150, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Martha Misas & Enrique López & Luis Fernando Melo, .
"La Inflación desde una Perspectiva Monetaria: Un Modelo P* para Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
133, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Martha Misas Arango & Enrique López Enciso & Luis Fernando Melo velandia, 1999. "La Inflación Desde Una Perspectiva Monetaria : Un Modelo P* Para Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003028, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- A.E.Akinlo, 2012. "Financial Development and the Velocity of Money in Nigeria: An Empirical Analysis," The Review of Finance and Banking, Academia de Studii Economice din Bucuresti, Romania / Facultatea de Finante, Asigurari, Banci si Burse de Valori / Catedra de Finante, vol. 4(2), pages 097-113, December.
- Hunte, C.K, 2011. "The Equation of Exchange: A Derivation," MPRA Paper 43531, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.