Transactions Costs, Inflation, and the Variety of Intermediation Services
AbstractA general-equilibrium model with fixed costs of financial intermediation and costs of transacting with intermediaries is constructed. This model is used to show that ignoring fixed costs of in termediation is not innocuous in Tobin-Baumol-type transactions cost models of money demand. Deflation is optimal in spite of the fact that an increase in inflation reduces nominal interest rates and may increase the transactions costs incurred by all groups of economic agents. Changes in reserve requirements have ambiguous effects. The authors obtain novel results due to the fact that the variety of intermediation services is affected by government intervention. Copyright 1987 by Ohio State University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 19 (1987)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bruno Amable & Jean-Bernard Chatelain & Olivier De Bandt, 2002.
"Optimal capacity in the banking sector and economic growth,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Amable, Bruno & Chatelain, Jean-Bernard & De Bandt, Olivier, 2002. "Optimal capacity in the banking sector and economic growth," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2-3), pages 491-517, March.
- Amable, B. & Chatelain, J.-B. & De Bandt, O., 2001. "Optimal Capacity in the Banking Sector and Economic Growth," Working papers 85, Banque de France.
- Amable, Bruno & Chatelain, Jean-Bernard & De Bandt, Olivier, 1998. "Stability versus efficiency of the banking sector and economic growth," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9811, CEPREMAP.
- Hyytinen, Ari, 2003. "Information production and lending market competition," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 233-253.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 2008. "Earnings Valuation And Sources Of Growth," CAMA Working Papers 2008-32, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Bruno Amable & Jean-Bernard Chatelain & Olivier De Bandt, 2002. "Optimal capacity in the banking sector and economic growth," Post-Print halshs-00112535, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.