Consumo de electricidad y producto interior bruto: Relación dinámica y estabilidad/Electricity Consumption and GDP: Dynamic Relationship and Stability
AbstractEste trabajo estudia las relaciones dinámicas entre el consumo de electricidad y el Producto Interior Bruto en España. Utilizando la función de correlación cruzada se constata que el PIB causa al consumo de electricidad, con un efecto instantáneo (elasticidad) de 0.95 y un efecto a largo plazo de 0.42. Técnicas de remuestreo y contrastes de estabilidad endógenos permiten aceptar la significación de la relación estimada y no rechazan la hipótesis de estabilidad en el periodo considerado. This paper studies the dynamic relationships between energy consumption and GDP in Spain. The cross correlation function shows that the GDP causes the electricity consumption. The impact multiplier is 0.95 and the long run effect is 0.42. Bootstrap techniques and structural change test asses the significativeness and the stability along the considered sample of the estimated model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Estudios de Economía Aplicada in its journal Estudios de Economía Aplicada.
Volume (Year): 29 (2011)
Issue (Month): (Agosto)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Beatriz Rodríguez Prado. Facultad de CC.EE. y EE. Avda. Valle del Esgueva. Valladolid 47011 SPAIN
Phone: (34) 983 423320
Fax: (34) 983 184568
Web page: http://www.revista-eea.net
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- E61 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Climent, Francisco & Pardo, Angel, 2007. "Decoupling factors on the energy-output linkage: The Spanish case," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 522-528, January.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 2006.
"The power of bootstrap and asymptotic tests,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 421-441, August.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 2004. "The Power of Bootstrap and Asymptotic Tests," Working Papers, Queen's University, Department of Economics 1035, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Prasad, Arti, 2008. "Electricity consumption-real GDP causality nexus: Evidence from a bootstrapped causality test for 30 OECD countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 910-918, February.
- Francis X. Diebold & Celia Chen, 1993.
"Testing structural stability with endogenous break point: a size comparison of analytic and bootstrap procedures,"
93-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Chen, Celia, 1996. "Testing structural stability with endogenous breakpoint A size comparison of analytic and bootstrap procedures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 221-241, January.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2000.
"Testing for structural change in conditional models,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 93-115, July.
- Tom Doan, . "REGHBREAK: RATS procedure to perform structural break test with bootstrapped p-values," Statistical Software Components RTS00176, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate structural break test with Hansen's fixed regressor bootstrap," Statistical Software Components RTZ00089, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1998. "Testing for Structural Change in Conditional Models," Boston College Working Papers in Economics, Boston College Department of Economics 310., Boston College Department of Economics.
- James E. Payne, 2010. "Survey of the international evidence on the causal relationship between energy consumption and growth," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(1), pages 53-95, January.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University
943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Aitor Ciarreta & Ainhoa Zarraga, 2010. "Electricity consumption and economic growth in Spain," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(14), pages 1417-1421.
- Chontanawat, Jaruwan & Hunt, Lester C. & Pierse, Richard, 2008. "Does energy consumption cause economic growth?: Evidence from a systematic study of over 100 countries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 209-220.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2007. "Bootstrap Hypothesis Testing," Working Papers, Queen's University, Department of Economics 1127, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Payne, James E., 2010. "A survey of the electricity consumption-growth literature," Applied Energy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 723-731, March.
- Ozturk, Ilhan, 2010. "A literature survey on energy-growth nexus," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 340-349, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Beatriz Rodríguez Prado).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.