Comparative Advantage of Major Crops Production in Punjab: An Application of Policy Analysis Matrix
AbstractThis study uses data from 1999/2000 to 2004/05 to determine the relative efficiency of major crops (wheat, rice, sugarcane, and cotton) in Punjab (Pakistan) and their comparative advantage in international trade as measured by economic profitability and the domestic resource cost (DRC) ratio. An economic profitability analysis demonstrates that Punjab has a comparative advantage in the domestic production of wheat for self-sufficiency but not for export purposes. In basmati production, Punjab has a comparative advantage, and increasing Basmati production for export is a viable economic proposition. The nominal protection coefficient (NPC), effective protection coefficient (EPC), and DRC for Irri rice are more than 1: the given input-output relationship and export prices do not give Punjab a comparative advantage in production of Irri for export. Sugarcane growers did not receive economic prices (i.e. prices reflecting true opportunity costs) during 2001/02 and 2002/03 in an importing scenario, while in 2003/04, the NPC was 1.02, indicating positive support to sugarcane growers. The NPCs estimated under an exporting situation range from 1.33 to 1.99, indicating that the prices received by growers are higher than the export parity/economic prices. This is also an indication that sugarcane cultivation for exporting sugar is not feasible in terms of economic value. The NPCs for cotton under an importing scenario were less than 1 while under an exporting scenario were either close to or greater than 1, implying an expansion in cotton production as imports have been more expensive than domestic production.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics in its journal Lahore Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (Jan-Jun)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Intersection Main Boulevard Phase VI DHA and Burki Road, Lahore
Phone: (92-42) 6560939
Web page: http://www.lahoreschoolofeconomics.edu.pk/EconomicsJournal/LJEIntro.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Crops; comparative advantage; domestic resource cost; policy analysis matrix (PAM); Pakistan.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balassa, Bela & Schydlowsky, Daniel M, 1972. "Domestic Resource Costs and Effective Protection Once Again," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(1), pages 63-69, Jan.-Feb..
- Krueger, Anne O & Schiff, Maurice & Valdes, Alberto, 1988. "Agricultural Incentives in Developing Countries: Measuring the Effect of Sectoral and Economywide Policies," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 2(3), pages 255-71, September.
- Tweeten, Luther G., 1986. "Impact Of Domestic Policy On Comparative Advantage Of Agriculture In The South," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Shahabuddin, Quazi & Dorosh, Paul A., 2002.
"Comparative advantage in Bangladesh crop production,"
MSSD discussion papers
47, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Shahabuddin, Quazi & Dorosh, Paul A., 2002. "Comparative advantage in Bangladesh crop production," MTID discussion papers 47, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bruno, Michael, 1972. "Domestic Resource Costs and Effective Protection: Clarification and Synthesis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(1), pages 16-33, Jan.-Feb..
- Waqar Akhtar & Muhammad Sharif & Nadeem Akmal, 2007. "Analysis of Economic Efficiency and Competitiveness of the Rice Production Systems of Pakistan’s Punjab," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 12(1), pages 141-153, Jan-Jun.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shahid Salahuddin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.