The Determinants of Capital Structure of the Chemical Industry in Pakistan
AbstractThis study is an attempt to determine the capital structure of listed firms in the chemical industry of Pakistan. The study finds that by studying a specific industry's capital structure, one can ascertain unique attributes, which are usually not apparent in the combined analysis of many sectors as done by Shah and Hijazi (2004). This study analyzed 26 of 39 firms in the chemical sector, listed at the Karachi Stack Exchange for the period 1993-2004 using pooled regression in a panel data analysis. Six regressors i.e. firm size, tangibility of assets, profitability, income variation, non-debt tax shield (NDTS) and growth were employed to examine their effects on leverage. The results show that these six independent variables explain 90% of variation in the dependent variable and, except for firm tangibility, results were found to be highly significant. The study has policy implications of importance for researchers, investors, analysts and managers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics in its journal Lahore Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (Jan-Jun)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Intersection Main Boulevard Phase VI DHA and Burki Road, Lahore
Phone: (92-42) 6560939
Web page: http://www.lahoreschoolofeconomics.edu.pk/EconomicsJournal/LJEIntro.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Chemical; Panel Data; Karachi Stock Exchange; Pakistan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- L65 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Chemicals; Rubber; Drugs; Biotechnology
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hamid Ahmad & Bashir A. Fida & Muhammad Zakaria, 2013. "The Co-determinants of Capital Structure and Stock Returns: Evidence from the Karachi Stock Exchange," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 18(1), pages 81-92, Jan-June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shahid Salahuddin).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.