Poverty, Population, Inequality, and Development: the Historical Perspective
AbstractSeen in historical perspective the main economic predicaments of the present world (such as poverty, inequality, backwardness) appear in a somewhat different light than in many current discussions, especially by sociologists, radical economists and political scientists. In the present paper the achievements of the modern age, and in particular of the post- World War II period, are considered in the perspective of economic and demographic history, and in their connection with the systems of production and of international relations. Some considerations concerning future possible developments conclude the paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cattaneo University (LIUC) in its journal The European Journal of Comparative Economics.
Volume (Year): 7 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Corso Matteotti 22 - Castellanza (VA) 21053
Phone: +39 (0)331-572 1
Fax: +39 (0)331-572 320
Web page: http://eaces.liuc.it/default.asp
More information through EDIRC
poverty; population; development; distribution; globalization;
Other versions of this item:
- Chilosi, Alberto, 2010. "Poverty, Population, Inequality, and Development: the Historical Perspective," MPRA Paper 27761, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- P0 - Economic Systems - - General
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- N0 - Economic History - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steve Dowrick & Muhammad Akmal, 2005. "Contradictory Trends In Global Income Inequality: A Tale Of Two Biases ," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(2), pages 201-229, 06.
- Milanovic, Branko & Lindert, Peter & Williamson, Jeffrey, 2007.
"Measuring Ancient Inequality,"
5388, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jeffrey G. Williamson & Branko Milanovic & Peter H. Lindert, 2008. "Measuring Ancient Inequality," Working Papers 08-06, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC).
- Milanovic,Branko & Lindert, Peter H. & Williamson, Jeffrey G., 2007. "Measuring ancient inequality," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4412, The World Bank.
- Branko Milanovic & Peter H. Lindert & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2007. "Measuring Ancient Inequality," NBER Working Papers 13550, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- François Bourguignon & Christian Morrisson, 2001.
"Inequality among World Citizens : 1820-1992,"
DELTA Working Papers
2001-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Milanovic, Branko, 2002.
"Can we discern the effect of globalization on income distribution? evidence from household budget surveys,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2876, The World Bank.
- Branko Milanovic, 2003. "CAN WE DISCERN THE EFFECT OF GLOBALIZATION ON INCOME DISTRIBUTION? Evidence from Household Budget Surveys," International Trade 0303004, EconWPA.
- Branko Milanovic, 2006.
"An Estimate Of Average Income And Inequality In Byzantium Around Year 1000,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 52(3), pages 449-470, 09.
- Branko Milanovic, 2005. "An Estimate Of Average Income And Inequality In Byzantium Around Year 1000," Economic History 0501003, EconWPA.
- James B. Davies & Anthony Shorrocks & Edward N. Wolff, 2010.
"The World Distribution of Household Wealth,"
- Davies, James B. & Sandstrom, Susanna & Shorrocks, Anthony & Wolff, Edward N., 2008. "The World Distribution of Household Wealth," Working Paper Series DP2008/03, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- DAVIES, JAMES B & Shorrocks, Anthony & Sandstrom, Susanna & WOLFF, EDWARD N, 2007. "The World Distribution of Household Wealth," Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, Working Paper Series qt3jv048hx, Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, UC Santa Cruz.
- Charles Kenny, 2006. "Were People in the Past Poor and Miserable?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 275-306, 05.
- Branko Milanovic, 2005. "The Modern World: The effect of democracy, colonialism and war on economic growth 1820-2000," Development and Comp Systems 0509002, EconWPA.
- Peter Boone, 1995. "Politics and the Effectiveness of Foreign Aid," NBER Working Papers 5308, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovanni Federico, 2005.
"Introduction to Feeding the World: An Economic History of World Agriculture, 1800-2000
[Feeding the World: An Economic History of World Agriculture, 1800-2000]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Milanovic, Branko, 2007. "An even higher global inequality than previously thought," MPRA Paper 6676, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- McCloskey, Deirdre, 2009. "Bourgeois dignity and liberty: Why economics can’t explain the modern world," MPRA Paper 16805, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Angus Maddison, 2006. "Asia in the World Economy 1500-2030 AD," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 20, pages 1-37, November.
- Milanovic, Branko, 2003.
"The Two Faces of Globalization: Against Globalization as We Know It,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 667-683, April.
- Branko Milanovic, 2003. "The Two Faces Of Globalization: Against Globalization As We Know It," Development and Comp Systems 0303007, EconWPA.
- Kremer, Michael, 1993. "Population Growth and Technological Change: One Million B.C. to 1990," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 681-716, August.
- Adas, Michael, 2009. "Reconsidering the macro-narrative in global history: John Darwin’s After Tamerlane and the case for comparison," Journal of Global History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(01), pages 163-173, March.
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati, 2004. "In Defense of Globalization: It Has a Human Face," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 94(6), pages 9-20, November-.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.