A Perplexed Economist Confronts 'too Big to Fail'
AbstractThis paper examines premises and data underlying the assertion that some financial institutions in the U.S. economy were "too big to fail" and hence warranted government bailout. It traces the merger histories enhancing the dominance of six leading firms in the U. S. banking industry and he sharp increases in the concentration of financial institution assets accompanying that merger wave. Financial institution profits are found to have soared in tandem with rising concentration. The paper advances hypotheses why these phenomena might be related and surveys relevant empirical literature on the relationships between market concentration, interest rates received and charged by banks, and economies of scale in banking.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cattaneo University (LIUC) in its journal The European Journal of Comparative Economics.
Volume (Year): 7 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Corso Matteotti 22 - Castellanza (VA) 21053
Phone: +39 (0)331-572 1
Fax: +39 (0)331-572 320
Web page: http://eaces.liuc.it/default.asp
More information through EDIRC
systemic risk; market concentration; mergers; scale economies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Günther, Susanne, 2013. "Eine ökonomische Analyse der Systemrelevanz von Banken," Arbeitspapiere, WestfÃ¤lsche Wilhelms-UniversitÃ¤t MÃ¼nster (WWU), Institut fÃ¼r Genossenschaftswesen 139, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
- Xavier Vives, 2011. "Competition policy in banking," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(3), pages 479-497.
- Lee, Li Way, 2013. "Merger wave in a small world: Two views," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 68-71.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.