The evolution of competition in banking in a transition economy: an application of the Panzar-Rosse model to Armenia
AbstractThe structure of the banking industry typically undergoes fundamental changes during the transition to a market economy. This research employs the method suggested by Panzar and Rosse (1987) to evaluate the empirical evidence on the evolution of competitive structure in the Armenian banking industry during its recent transition and on the possible forces-market power or efficiency/contestability-that underlie that evolution. The results point to monopolistic competition.The reduction of bank numbers and the simultaneous increase in concentration is accompanied by a decline in competition intensity, which supports the market-power hypothesis
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cattaneo University (LIUC) in its journal The European Journal of Comparative Economics.
Volume (Year): 2 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Corso Matteotti 22 - Castellanza (VA) 21053
Phone: +39 (0)331-572 1
Fax: +39 (0)331-572 320
Web page: http://eaces.liuc.it/default.asp
More information through EDIRC
bank competition; bank markets; Panzar-Rosse model; transitional economy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anzoategui, Diego & Pería, María Soledad Martínez & Melecky, Martin, 2012. "Bank competition in Russia: An examination at different levels of aggregation," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 42-57.
- Jacob Bikker & Laura Spierdijk & Paul Finnie, 2006. "Misspecifiation of the Panzar-Rosse Model: Assessing Competition in the Banking Industry," DNB Working Papers 114, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Alin Marius Andrieş & Bogdan Căpraru, 2012. "Competition and efficiency in EU27 banking systems," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 12(1), pages 41-60, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.