Employment Performance and Convergence in the European Countries and Regions
AbstractThis paper analyzes the national and regional (NUTS-2) employment performance and convergence for various aggregations of 27 European countries (EU-25, plus Romania and Bulgaria), mainly using the three employment rates (total, female, older worker) adopted by the European Employment Strategy (EES). At the national level, this analysis confirmed the existence of considerable differences in employment performance between and within the various country aggregations. Empirical analysis highlighted the remarkable net job creations in the EU-15 (and EMU-12) for the period 1997-2003, accompanied by a (national) convergence for all three employment indicators. As regards total employment rates, significant converging trends also emerge at the regional level for both EU-15 and EMU-12 aggregations. In the eight Central European Countries, new EU members (8 CEC-NM), a diverging trend in the total employment rate began in 1999, whereas converging dynamics were limited to the employment rate of older workers in the period 1998-2001. Regional analyses showed significant diverging dynamics in the total employment rates (1999-2003) for the eight CEC-NM regions. At the national level of analyses, the relationship between "progress in transition" and employment performance was also briefly examined. Results show that a simple, stable correlation does not exist. However, a weak U-shaped relationship existing in 1998 shifted downward and evolved toward a positive link in 2003. The main results of cluster analysis of the 53 regions of the ten CECs confirmed a high level of regional labour market diversification, and the fact that sector structure affects employment performance significantly
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cattaneo University (LIUC) in its journal The European Journal of Comparative Economics.
Volume (Year): 1 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Corso Matteotti 22 - Castellanza (VA) 21053
Phone: +39 (0)331-572 1
Fax: +39 (0)331-572 320
Web page: http://eaces.liuc.it/default.asp
More information through EDIRC
Employment performance; employment convergence; regional labour markets;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- P27 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Performance and Prospects
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cristiano Perugini & Marcello Signorelli, 2007. "Labour Market Performance Differentials and Dynamics in EU-15 Countries and Regions," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 4(2), pages 209-262, September.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Gianluigi Coppola, 2005. "The impact of institutions on Regional unemployment disparities," ERSA conference papers ersa05p758, European Regional Science Association.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Gianluigi Coppola, 2006. "The Impact of the Institutions on Regional Unemployment Disparities in Europe," Discussion Papers, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy 4_2006, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Cristiano Perugini & Marcello Signorelli, 2005. "Employment Differences, Convergences and Similarities in Italian Provinces," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica, UniversitÃ di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica 07/2005, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo – Gianluigi Coppola & Gianluigi Coppola, 2005. "The Impact of the Institutions on Regional Unemployment Disparities," CELPE Discussion Papers, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy 98, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Gianluigi Coppola, 2006. "Le cause dei divari regionali della disoccupazione in Europa," RIVISTA DI ECONOMIA E STATISTICA DEL TERRITORIO, FrancoAngeli Editore, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2006(1).
- Peter Huber, 2008. "Regional Labour Market Disparities in an Enlarged European Union," WIFO Working Papers, WIFO 309, WIFO.
- Pierella Paci & Erwin R. Tiongson & Mateusz Walewski & Jacek Liwinski & Maria M. Stoilkova, 2007. "Internal Labor Mobility in Central Europe and the Baltic Region," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6598, August.
- Cristiano Perugini, 2008. "Employment and Unemployment in the Italian Provinces," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica, UniversitÃ di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica 49/2008, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Olga Demidova & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "The Impact of Crises on Youth Unemployment of Russian Regions: An Empirical Analysis," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica, UniversitÃ di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica 78/2010, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Marcello Signorelli & Enrico Marelli, 2007. "Institutional change, regional features and aggregate performance in eight EU’s transition countries," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica, UniversitÃ di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica 37/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Enrico Marelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "Employment, productivity and models of growth in the EU," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(7), pages 732-754, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.