The Regional Economic Value of Entrepreneurship: A Schumpeterian Approach to the Linkage between Entrepreneurship and Regional Development
AbstractThis paper develops a regional-level total factor productivity (TFP)-based proxy measure of the economic value of the functions entrepreneurs perform in the economy. In providing the theoretical support for linking the economic value of entrepreneurship (EVE) and TFP, this paper integrates Schumpeter’s definition of entrepreneurship within the neoclassical production function framework. The measure of EVE developed here builds upon Harberger’s (1998) real cost reduction approach to industry-level and quality-adjusted TFP. The paper uses the European Union NUTS 2 regions as a case study and concludes that this innovative proxy measure of EVE opens promising avenues for a better understanding of the linkages between entrepreneurship and regional economic development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Lifescience Global in its journal Journal of Reviews on Global Economics.
Volume (Year): 2 (2013)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lifescienceglobal.com
Entrepreneurship; Regional Development; Economic Development; Economic Growth; Real Cost Reduction;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Faisal Ameer Khan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.