Asset Pricing Models: A Comparative Exercise Using Neural Networks to the Colombian Stock Market
AbstractThis study seeks to evaluate the effectiveness that variables like firm size and book-to-market ratio—present in the model of Fama and French—have to capture the average expected return on assets, as compared to macroeconomic fundamentals or the market index. For this purpose, we used an artificial neural network model (ANN), which departs from a structure of non-linear estimation to capture some irregularities that characterize financial markets. We found that the Fama and French model accounts for the conditions of the Colombian stock market better, which suggests the importance of microeconomic risk factors to explain asset returns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía in its journal LECTURAS DE ECONOMÍA.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 75 ()
Postal: Lecturas de Economía, Departamento de Economía, Calle 67, 53-108, Medellin 050010, Colombia.
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
- D2 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- C45 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Neural Networks and Related Topics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlos Andrés Vasco Correa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.