Financial Reporting from the Reference Theories’ Perspective
AbstractInternational accounting standards are underpinned by a normative approach of accounting, in the sense that these are based on conceptual accounting framework assimilated by a theoretical framework. The conceptual framework’s development is based on a priori theory, initiated by Chambers, in his article published in 1955, where he defends the need for a theory of practical accounting an a detachment from descriptive theories of an inductive approach. Developing the accounting standards on such theories is the result of deductive logic, while national regulations are based on an inductive approach. Furthermore, the wording of the national regulations concerning consolidated or social accounts is not explicitly dedicated to the privileged users of financial and accounting information. The clear position of the IAS/IFRS conceptual framework, directed to investor, places the international accounting model to the basis of agency theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Faculty of Finance, Banking and Accountancy Bucharest,"Dimitrie Cantemir" Christian University Bucharest in its journal Knowledge Horizons - Economics.
Volume (Year): 6 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Financial reporting; accounting model; International Accounting Standards; conceptual framework; agency theory; normative theory;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Colasse, Bernard, 2009. "La normalisation comptable internationale face à la crise," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7516, Paris Dauphine University.
- Ross L. Watts, 1977. "Corporate Financial Statements, A Product of the Market and Political Processes," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 2(1), pages 53-75, April.
- Bernard Colasse, 2009. "La normalisation comptable internationale face à la crise," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 95(2), pages 387-399.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adi Sava).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.