Stochastic revealed preference and rationalizability
AbstractThis paper explorers rationalizability issues for finite sets of observations of stochastic choice in the framework introduced by Bandyopadhyay et al. (JET, 1999). Is is argued that a useful approach is to consider indirect preferences on budgets instead of direct preferences on commodity bundles. Stochastic choices are rationalizable in terms of stochastic orderings on the normalized price space if and only if there exits a solution to a linear feasibility problem. Together with the weak axiom of stochastic revealed preference the existence of a solution implies rationalizability in terms of stochastic orderings on the commodity space. Furthermore it is shown that the problem of finding sufficiency conditions for binary choice probabilities to be rationalizable bears similarities to the problem considered here.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Theory and Decision.
Volume (Year): 71 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100341
Stochastic choice; Rationalizability; Revealed preference; Weak axiom of stochastic revealed preference; Revealed favorability;
Other versions of this item:
- Jan Heufer, 2008. "Stochastic Revealed Preference and Rationalizability," Ruhr Economic Papers 0070, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richter, Marcel K., 1979. "Duality and rationality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 131-181, April.
- Barbera, Salvador & Pattanaik, Prasanta K, 1986. "Falmagne and the Rationalizability of Stochastic Choices in Terms of Random Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 707-15, May.
- Dasgupta, Indraneel, 2009.
"Supply Theory sans Profit-Maximization,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4018, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bandyopadhyay, Taradas & Bandyopadhyay, Bandyopadhyay & Pattanaik, Prasanta K., 2002. "Demand Aggregation and the Weak Axiom of Stochastic Revealed Preference," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 483-489, December.
- Varian, Hal R, 1982. "The Nonparametric Approach to Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 945-73, July.
- Indraneel Dasgupta, .
"Contraction consistent stochastic choice correspondence,"
08/04, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Indraneel Dasgupta, 2011. "Contraction consistent stochastic choice correspondence," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 643-658, October.
- Dasgupta, Indraneel, 2009. "Contraction Consistent Stochastic Choice Correspondence," IZA Discussion Papers 4596, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniel McFadden, 2005. "Revealed stochastic preference: a synthesis," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 245-264, 08.
- José Alcantud, 2006. "Notes and Comments: Stochastic demand correspondences and their aggregation properties," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 55-69, 05.
- Bandyopadhyay, Taradas & Dasgupta, Indraneel & Pattanaik, Prasanta K., 1999. "Stochastic Revealed Preference and the Theory of Demand," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 95-110, January.
- Indraneel Dasgupta, 2005. "Consistent firm choice and the theory of supply," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 167-175, 07.
- Sakai, Yasuhiro, 1977. "Revealed favorability, indirect utility, and direct utility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 113-129, February.
- Shasikanta Nandeibam, 2009. "On probabilistic rationalizability," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 425-437, March.
- Taradas Bandyopadhyay & Indraneel Dasgupta & Prasanta Pattanaik, 2004. "A general revealed preference theorem for stochastic demand behavior," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 589-599, March.
- Little, James T., 1979. "Indirect preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 182-193, April.
- Jan Heufer, 2009. "Stochastic homothetically revealed preference for tight stochastic demand functions," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 2472-2477.
- Heufer, Jan, 2013. "Quasiconcave preferences on the probability simplex: A nonparametric analysis," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 21-30.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.