Firms Size and R&D Spillovers: Evidence from Italy
AbstractThe recent emergence in the industrial organization literature of a wave of studies identifying small firms as more innovative than their larger counterparts poses something of a paradox? Where do small firms get their knowledge generating inputs? The purpose of this paper is to link innovative inputs to innovative outputs. This enables the identification of the extent to which spillovers exist from major sources generating new economic knowledge, such as the research and development (R&D) laboratories of private and public firms, as well as universities, to the innovative activity of large and small enterprises. Based on twenty Italian regions over a period of nine years, the empirical evidence suggests that, while firm R&D expenditures contribute to the generation of innovative output for all firms, as well as for large and small firms, the spillovers from university research are apparently more important for small-firm innovation than for large-firm innovation. Copyright 1996 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 8 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Robin Kleer, 2009. "Acquisitions in a Patent Contest Model with Large and Small Firms," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 307-328, December.
- Waheed, Abdul, 2011. "Size, competition, and innovative activities: a developing world perspective," MERIT Working Papers 052, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Thomas P. Lyon, 2005. "Making Capitalism Work: Social Capital and Economic Growth in Italy, 1970-1995," Working Papers 2005.70, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- ANT Bozkaya & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2004.
"Who Funds Technology-Based Small Firms? Evidence from Belgium,"
Working Papers CEB
04-027.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- A. Bozkaya & B. Van Pottelsberghe De La Potterie, 2008. "Who Funds Technology-Based Small Firms? Evidence From Belgium," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1-2), pages 97-122.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & ANT Bozkaya, 2008. "Who funds technology-based small firms? Evidence from Belgium," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6387, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Rinaldo Evangelista & Valeria Mastrostefano, 2006. "Firm size, sectors and countries as sources of variety in innovation," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 247-270.
- Barajas, A. & Huergo, E. & Moreno, L., 2012. "The Impact of International Research Joint Ventures on SMEs Performance," MPRA Paper 36306, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Santarelli, Enrico & Vivarelli, Marco, 2006.
"Entrepreneurship and the Process of Firms’ Entry, Survival and Growth,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2475, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Enrico Santarelli & Marco Vivarelli, 2007. "Entrepreneurship and the process of firms’ entry, survival and growth," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 455-488, June.
- Maria Jesus Nieto & Lluis Santamaria, 2006. "Technological Collaboration: Bridging The Innovation Gap Between Small And Large Firms," Business Economics Working Papers wb066620, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Conte, Andrea & Vivarelli, Marco, 2013. "Succeeding in Innovation: Key Insights on the Role of R&D and Technological Acquisition Drawn from Company Data," IZA Discussion Papers 7671, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007.
"What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2007-061, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- C. Praag & Peter Versloot, 2007. "What is the value of entrepreneurship? A review of recent research," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 351-382, December.
- van Praag, Mirjam & Versloot, Peter H., 2007. "What Is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," IZA Discussion Papers 3014, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-066/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jaakko Simonen & Philip McCann, 2008. "Innovation, R&D cooperation and labor recruitment: evidence from Finland," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 181-194, August.
- Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Refolo, Cristina, 2000. "The Link Between Clusters Of Smes And Public And University Research In Italy," ERSA conference papers ersa00p326, European Regional Science Association.
- Jakub Kastl & David Martimort & Salvatore Piccolo, 2008. "Delegation and R&D Spending: Evidence from Italy," CSEF Working Papers 192, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 17 Oct 2009.
- Giulio Cainelli & Donato Iacobucci & Alessandra Micozzi, 2013. "Determinants of territorial differences in entrepreneurial rates. An empirical analysis of Italian local systems," ERSA conference papers ersa13p1173, European Regional Science Association.
- Hyunbae Chun & Sung-Bae Mun, 2012.
"Determinants of R&D cooperation in small and medium-sized enterprises,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 419-436, September.
- Hyunbae Chun & Sung-Bae Mun, 2012. "Determinants of R&D Cooperation in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises," Working Papers 1204, Research Institute for Market Economy, Sogang University.
- P. Kim, 2000. "R&D and Firm Size in the Information and Telecommunicatons Industry of Korea," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 183-192, November.
- María Rochina-Barrachina & Juan Mañez & Juan Sanchis-Llopis, 2010. "Process innovations and firm productivity growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 147-166, February.
- Christophe CARRINCAZEAUX (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2009. "Spatial dynamics of innovation (In French)," Cahiers du GREThA 2009-21, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Waheed, Abdul, 2011. "Size, competition, and innovative activities: a developing world perspective," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 052, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.