The Dynamics of Entry, Exit and Profitability: An Error Correction Approach for the Retail Industry
AbstractWe develop a two equation error correction model to investigate determinants of and dynamic interaction between changes in profits and number of firms in retailing. An explicit distinction is made between the effects of actual competition among incumbents, new firms competition, and potential competition from firms outside the market. Effects of cost, demand and general income changes on profitability are investigated to gain insight in the role of retailing in the cost, demand and wage inflationary process. The relative importance of profitability, growth and unemployment as determinants of net entry are studied. The model is tested using a panel data set of 36 Dutch shoptypes covering the 1977-1988 period. Copyright 1994 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 6 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
Other versions of this item:
- Carree, M. & Thutik, R., 1993. "The Dynamics of Entry, Exit and Profitability: An Error Correction Approach for the Retail Industry," Papers 9308-g, Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Koen De Backer & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2003.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Crowd Out Domestic Entrepreneurship?,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 67-84, February.
- Koen De Backer & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2002. "Does foreign direct investment crowd out domestic entrepreneurship?," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2002-14, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Robert M. Feinberg, 2009. "Foreign Competition and Small-Firm Entry in US Manufacturing," Working Papers 2009-04, American University, Department of Economics.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Dennis Fok & Andrew Burke, 2009. "The Dynamics of Entry and Exit," Scales Research Reports H200907, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Andrew Burke, 2008. "Investigating Blue Ocean v. Competitive Strategy: A Statistical Analysis of the Retail Industry," Scales Research Reports H200801, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Koen de Backer, 2002. "Does foreign direct investment crowd out domestic entrepreneurship?," Economics Working Papers 618, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Martin Carree, 2002. "Does Unemployment Affect the Number of Establishments? A Regional Analysis for US States," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 389-398.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2010012 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carree, M. A. & Thurik, A. R., 1999. "The carrying capacity and entry and exit flows in retailing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 985-1007, October.
- Burke, A.E. & van Stel, A.J. & Thurik, A.R., 2009. "Blue Ocean versus Competitive Strategy: Theory and Evidence," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2009-030-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.