Entrepreneurial Aspirations: Another Form of Job Search?
AbstractWe study the labour market behaviour of employed individuals that have entrepreneurial aspirations in addition to aspirations to switch job. We analyze empirically these two “search processes” side-by-side and find that entrepreneurial aspirations and aspirations to switch job are relatively common. However, most employees are not engaged in both search processes, nor are the two processes alike: It is more difficult to empirically explain entrepreneurial aspirations than aspirations to switch job. Only few observable characteristics of the employed are related to both processes. Varied experience and job dissatisfaction are directly related to the probability of having entrepreneurial aspirations and aspirations to switch job, while job tenure is inversely related to them. Our analysis also contributes to the understanding of the process of transition from work into entrpreneurship: Employees who can experiment with new things in their present job, regard the content of their work important, and are dissatisfied with their superiors have more often entrepreneurial aspirations than others. Copyright Springer 2007
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- Roy Thurik & Isabel Grilo, 2005.
"Latent and actual entrepreneurship in Europe and the US: some recent developments,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2005-24, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Roy Thurik & Isabel Grilo, 2006. "Latent and actual entrepreneurship in Europe and the US: some recent developments," Scales Research Reports N200514, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Parker,Simon C., 2006.
"The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521030632, December.
- Parker,Simon C., 2004. "The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521828130, December.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Joulfaian, David & Rosen, Harvey S, 1994.
"Sticking It Out: Entrepreneurial Survival and Liquidity Constraints,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(1), pages 53-75, February.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1993. "Sticking it Out: Entrepreneurial Survival and Liquidity Constraints," NBER Working Papers 4494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- KruegerJR, Norris F. & Reilly, Michael D. & Carsrud, Alan L., 2000. "Competing models of entrepreneurial intentions," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 411-432.
- Farber, Henry S., 1999. "Mobility and stability: The dynamics of job change in labor markets," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 37, pages 2439-2483 Elsevier.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979. "Firm-specific Capital and Turnover," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1246-60, December.
- Blanchflower, David G., 2000.
"Self-employment in OECD countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 471-505, September.
- Hellmann, Thomas F., 2002.
"When Do Employees Become Entrepreneurs?,"
1770, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- David Blanchflower & A Oswald, 1993. "Entrepreneurship," CEP Discussion Papers dp0134, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Roope Uusitalo, 2001.
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(13), pages 1631-1638.
- J.S. Cramer, 1998. "Predictive Performance of the Binary Logit Model in Unbalanced Samples," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-085/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Munasinghe, Lalith & Sigman, Karl, 2004. "A hobo syndrome? Mobility, wages, and job turnover," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 191-218, April.
- Barton H. Hamilton, 2000. "Does Entrepreneurship Pay? An Empirical Analysis of the Returns to Self-Employment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(3), pages 604-631, June.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew & Stutzer, Alois, 2001. "Latent entrepreneurship across nations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 680-691, May.
- Ai, Chunrong & Norton, Edward C., 2003. "Interaction terms in logit and probit models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 123-129, July.
- Blanchflower, D.G. & Oswald, A., 1991.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99125, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Rivers, Douglas & Vuong, Quang H., 1988. "Limited information estimators and exogeneity tests for simultaneous probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 347-366, November.
- Johansson, Edvard, 2000. " Self-Employment and Liquidity Constraints: Evidence from Finland," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(1), pages 123-34, March.
- Pissarides, Christopher A. & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 1994. "On-the-job search: Some empirical evidence from Britain," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 385-401, February.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- David M. Blau, 1992. "An empirical analysis of employed and unemployed job search behavior," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 45(4), pages 738-752, July.
- Andersson, Martin & Baltzopoulos, Apostolos & Lööf, Hans, 2012.
"R&D strategies and entrepreneurial spawning,"
Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 54-68.
- Andersson, Martin & Baltzopoulos, Apostolos & Lööf, Hans, 2010. "R&D Strategies and Entrepreneurial Spawning," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 228, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Schanne, Norbert & Weyh, Antje, 2009. "What makes start-ups out of unemployment different?," IAB Discussion Paper 200904, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Baltzopoulos, Apostolos, 2009. "The Firm and the Region as Breeding Grounds for Entrepreneurs," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 189, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Åstebro, Thomas & Thompson, Peter, 2011.
"Entrepreneurs, Jacks of all trades or Hobos?,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 637-649, June.
- Oberschachtsiek, Dirk, 2010. "How do local labor market conditions and individual characteristics affect quitting selfemployment?," Discussion Papers, Presidential Department P 2010-001, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Santos, Miguel, 2010. "From Training to Labour Market. Holocletic Model," MPRA Paper 26617, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- BABA Ryota & MOTOHASHI Kazuyuki, 2013. "Entrepreneurship and Human Capital: Empirical study using a survey of entrepreneurs in Japan," Discussion papers 13049, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.