Determinants of New Firm Formation in Taiwan
AbstractThe main objective of this paper is to explore the factors influencing new firm formation in Taiwan. The paper makes use of both cross-sectional and time-series data for the period 1986–2001, using the fixed effect model to try to determine the factors affecting new firm formation. The impacts of industry health, production costs, capital cost, number of employed persons, the unemployment rate, and the economic growth rate are found to be more or less as anticipated. However, only production costs, capital cost, and the unemployment rate are significant with confidence levels of 95% and 90%, respectively. The results also suggest that Taiwan currently is located at the unemployment borderline proposed by Hamilton, and thus a recession-push is already operating, while a prosperity-pull is starting to make itself felt. Copyright Springer 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
new firm; prosperity-pull; recession-push; unemployment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Audretsch & Michael Fritsch, 1999. "The Industry Component of Regional New Firm Formation Processes," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 239-252, November.
- Quatraro, Francesco & Vivarelli, Marco, 2013. "Drivers of Entrepreneurship and Post-Entry Performance of Newborn Firms in Developing Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 7436, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Francesco Quatraro & Marco Vivarelli, 2013. "Entry and Post-Entry Dynamics in Developing Countries," GREDEG Working Papers 2013-20, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- Marco Vivarelli, 2013. "Is entrepreneurship necessarily good? Microeconomic evidence from developed and developing countries," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(6), pages 1453-1495, December.
- Calá, Carla Daniela & Manjón-Antolín, Miguel & Arauzo-Carod, Josep-Maria, 2014.
"The determinants of exit in Argentina: core and peripheral regions,"
NÃ¼lan. Deposited Documents
1976, Centro de Documentación, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata.
- Calá, Carla Daniela & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C. & Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria, 2014. "The Determinants of Exit in Argentina: Core and Peripheral Regions," Working Papers 2072/225299, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Quatraro, Francesco & Vivarelli, Marco, 2013. "Entrepreneurship In A Developing Country Context," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 201314, University of Turin.
- Kim, Younghwan & Kim, Wonjoon & Yang, Taeyong, 2012. "The effect of the triple helix system and habitat on regional entrepreneurship: Empirical evidence from the U.S," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 154-166.
- E. Santarelli & H. T. Tran, 2011. "Growth of Incumbent Firms and Entrepreneurship in Vietnam," Working Papers wp785, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Schanne, Norbert & Weyh, Antje, 2009. "What makes start-ups out of unemployment different?," IAB Discussion Paper 200904, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Vivarelli, Marco, 2012. "Drivers of entrepreneurship and post-entry performance : microeconomic evidence from advanced and developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6245, The World Bank.
- Gries, Thomas & Naude, Wim, 2008. "Entrepreneurship and Regional Economic Growth: Towards A General Theory of Start-Ups," Working Paper Series RP2008/70, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Andrew Ross, 2011. "Regional Determinants of Entrepreneurship in a Small Economy: Panel Data Evidence from Scotland," ERSA conference papers ersa11p848, European Regional Science Association.
- Vivarelli, Marco, 2012. "Entrepreneurship in Advanced and Developing Countries: A Microeconomic Perspective," IZA Discussion Papers 6513, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.