Targeting Firm Births and Economic Regeneration in a Lagging Region
AbstractThis paper provides a critical evaluation of the practice of targeting the firm birth rate as part of a regional regeneration policy. It raises some fundamental questions about the appropriateness of such a practice and shows that different specifications of the birth rate generate very different implications for policy intervention, as measured by the number of births required. It also demonstrates that even when the specification is agreed, the translation of the target into actual numbers of births is far from straightforward, especially where the target aspires to match a region’s performance with what is going on elsewhere and where the survival rate of businesses is also being targeted in parallel. The North East of England is used as the particular context for the evaluation, although the discussion has much wider applicability. Copyright Springer 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marco Vivarelli, 2012. "Entrepreneurship and Post-Entry Performance: the Microeconomic Evidence," DISCE - Quaderni del Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali dises1286, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Enrico Santarelli & Marco Vivarelli, 2007.
"Entrepreneurship and the process of firms’ entry, survival and growth,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 455-488, June.
- Santarelli, Enrico & Vivarelli, Marco, 2006. "Entrepreneurship and the Process of Firms’ Entry, Survival and Growth," IZA Discussion Papers 2475, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M.A. Carree & A.R. Thurik, 2008.
"The Lag Structure of the Impact of Business Ownership on Economic Performance in OECD Countries,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 101-110, January.
- Martin Carree & Roy Thurik, 2006. "The Lag Structure of the Impact of Business Ownership on Eco-nomic Performance in OECD Countries," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2006-02, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Carree, M.A. & Thurik, A.R., 2006. "The Lag Structure of the Impact of Business Ownership on Economic Performance in OECD Countries," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-064-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Vivarelli, Marco, 2014. "Structural Change and Innovation as Exit Strategies from the Middle Income Trap," IZA Discussion Papers 8148, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pamela Mueller & André Stel & David Storey, 2008. "The effects of new firm formation on regional development over time: The case of Great Britain," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 59-71, January.
- Francesco Quatraro & Marco Vivarelli, 2013. "Entry and Post-Entry Dynamics in Developing Countries," GREDEG Working Papers 2013-20, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- Vivarelli, Marco, 2012. "Entrepreneurship in Advanced and Developing Countries: A Microeconomic Perspective," IZA Discussion Papers 6513, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- James Derbyshire & Garry Haywood, 2007. "Schumpeterian 'Creative Destruction' and Strengthening the Business Stock Through Firm Formation," Research Papers 200739, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Vivarelli, Marco, 2012. "Drivers of entrepreneurship and post-entry performance : microeconomic evidence from advanced and developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6245, The World Bank.
- Marco Vivarelli, 2013. "Is entrepreneurship necessarily good? Microeconomic evidence from developed and developing countries," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(6), pages 1453-1495, December.
- Natário, Maria Manuela & Almeida Couto, João Pedro & Couto de Sousa, Maura Helena, 2012. "Innovation Processes of SMEs in Less Favoured Municipalities of Portugal," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 22, pages 81-103.
- repec:rdg:wpaper:em-dp2010-06 is not listed on IDEAS
- Quatraro, Francesco & Vivarelli, Marco, 2013. "Drivers of Entrepreneurship and Post-Entry Performance of Newborn Firms in Developing Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 7436, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Quatraro, Francesco & Vivarelli, Marco, 2013. "Entrepreneurship In A Developing Country Context," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 201314, University of Turin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.