The Adoption of ICT among SMEs: Evidence from an Italian Survey
AbstractIn this paper, we carry out an econometric analysis on the adoption and effective use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) among a sample of Italian SMEs. An important result is that, in order to understand the main factors that drive SMEs to the adoption of ICTs, it is useful to divide the available technologies according to a taxonomy based on their typical function. Along with general-use ICTs (e-mail and Internet access), we identify two groups of technologies (labelled production-integrating and market-oriented ICTs) the use of which is associated with different firm characteristics. In both cases, however, the availability of highly educated workers turns out to be a key factor. Policy implications are also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tiago Oliveira & Maria Fraga O. Martins, 2011. "Understanding the determinant factors of Internet business solutions adoption: the case of Portuguese firms," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(18), pages 1769-1775, December.
- Francesco Sandulli & José Fernández-Menéndez & Antonio Rodríguez-Duarte & José López-Sánchez, 2012. "The productivity payoff of information technology in multimarket SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 99-117, July.
- Adel Ben Youssef & Walid Hadhri & Hatem M’henni, 2010.
"Intra-Firm Diffusion of Innovation: Evidence from Tunisian SME’s in Matters of Information and Communication Technologies,"
532, Economic Research Forum, revised Jul 2010.
- Adel Ben Youssef & Walid Hadhri & Hatem M'Henni, 2011. "Intra-Firm Diffusion of Innovation: Evidence from Tunisian SME's in Matters of Information and Communication Technologies," Post-Print halshs-00937179, HAL.
- Anna Giunta & Francesco Trivieri, 2007. "Understanding the determinants of information technology adoption: evidence from Italian manufacturing firms," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(10), pages 1325-1334.
- Riccardo Lucchetti & Stefano Staffolani & Alessandro Sterlacchini, 2004.
"Computers, Wages and Working Hours in Italy,"
Giornale degli Economisti,
GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 63(3-4), pages 329-353, December.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007.
"What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
07-066/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- C. Praag & Peter Versloot, 2007. "What is the value of entrepreneurship? A review of recent research," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 351-382, December.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-061, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- van Praag, Mirjam & Versloot, Peter H., 2007. "What Is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," IZA Discussion Papers 3014, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kounetas, Kostas & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2008. "The energy efficiency paradox revisited through a partial observability approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2517-2536, September.
- Luigi Benfratello & Tiziano Razzolini & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2009.
"Does ICT Investment Spur or Hamper Offshoring? Empirical Evidence from Microdata,"
5, Former Department of Economics and Public Finance "G. Prato", University of Torino.
- Luigi Benfratello & Tiziano Razzolini & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2009. "Does ICT Investment Spur or Hamper Offshoring? Empirical Evidence from Microdata," Development Working Papers 276, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Juan Gallego & Luis H. Gutiérrez & Sang H. Lee, 2011.
"A firm-level analysis of ICT adoption in an emerging economy: evidence from the colombian manufacturing industries,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO
009155, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Juan M. Gallego & Luis H. Gutiérrez & Sang H. Lee, . "A Firm-Level Analysis of ICT Adoption in an Emerging Economy: Evidence from the Colombian Manufacturing Industries," Development Working Papers 362, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Roberta Rabellotti & Anna Carabelli & Giovanna Hirsch, 2007. "Italian SMEs and industrial districts on the move: Where are they going?," Working Papers 115, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Ilsoon Shin, 2006. "Adoption of Enterprise Application Software and Firm Performance," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 241-256, 04.
- Martin, Ludivine, 2009. "Understanding the implementation of e-business strategies: Evidence from Luxembourg," MPRA Paper 13645, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- José Alberto Bayo-Moriones & Gilberto Carvalho-Vasconcelos & Fernando Lera-López, 2005. "A firm-level analysis of differences between adopters and non-adopters of ICT," ERSA conference papers ersa05p645, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.