Export Propensities and Intensities of Small and Medium Manufacturing Enterprises in South Africa
AbstractThe basic premise of this study is that enterprise linkages, export marketing, and sunk costs significantly affect the propensities to export and intensities of exporting of small and medium manufacturing enterprises in South Africa. The hypothesis tested was that small and medium manufacturing enterprises break through into foreign markets with relative ease when involved in linkages because they facilitate information flows, thereby easing the international marketing burden on the shoulders of individual enterprise units. A theoretical perspective adopted by this study was that small- and medium-sized enterprises involved in enterprise linkages that have intermediaries are in a better position to enter and exit international markets. Empirical testing using survey data confirms this. This study, therefore, recommends that export promotion initiatives should take these factors into account. There are many possibilities discussed in this study. The important point is that there is now clarity about the main hindrances to probabilities of exporting and export intensities of small and medium manufacturing enterprises in South Africa. By implication, export market intelligence should be prioritized.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Christian Volpe Martincus, 2009.
"SMEs in Argentina: Who are the Exporters,"
2009.88, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Christian Volpe Martincus, 2009. "SMEs in Argentina: Who are the Exporters?," KITeS Working Papers 024, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jun 2009.
- Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano & Christian Volpe Martincus, 2009. "SMEs in Argentina: Who are the Exporters?," Development Working Papers 283, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Marianne Matthee & Waldo Krugell, 2011. "Barriers to Internationalisation: Firm-Level Evidence from South Africa," Working Papers 2011/09, Maastricht School of Management.
- Martín-Tapia, Inmaculada & Aragón-Correa, J. Alberto & Rueda-Manzanares, Antonio, 2010. "Environmental strategy and exports in medium, small and micro-enterprises," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 266-275, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.