Determinants of Firm Start-Up Size: An Application of Quantile Regression for Ireland
AbstractIn this paper we provide empirical evidence on the determinants of firm start-up size using data for the manufacturing sector in Ireland, and compare our results with recent findings for Portuguese manufacturing industries (Mata and Machado, 1996). To allow for firm heterogeneity between firm entrants we use quantile regression techniques for our empirical estimation. We find that the determinants of start-up size differ in their importance for small and large-scale entrants. In particular, industry size and industry growth seem to affect large-scale entrants only. Copyright 2000 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michele Cincera & Lydia Greunz & Jean-Luc Guyot & Olivier Lohest, 2006.
"Capital humain et processus de création d'entreprise: le cas des primo-créateurs wallons,"
DULBEA Working Papers
06-11.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michele Cincera & Lydia Greunz & Jean-Luc Guyot & Olivier Lohest, 2006. "Capital humain et processus de création d'entreprise: le cas des primo-créateurs wallons," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 49(2).
- Michele Cincera & Henri Capron, 2012. "Capital humain et processus de création d’entreprise: Le cas des primo-créateurs wallons," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/147102, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hennings, Enrique & Katchova, Ani L., 2005. "Business Growth Strategies Of Illinois Farms: A Quantile Regression Approach," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19367, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Alex Coad & Julian Frankish & Paul Nightingale & Richard G. Roberts & David J. Storey, 2012. "Business Experience and Start-up Size: Buying More Lottery Tickets Next Time Around?," SPRU Working Paper Series 203, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Marcelo Resende, 2009.
"Concentration and market size: lower bound estimates for the Brazilian industry,"
AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 2465-2471.
- Marcelo Resende, 2008. "Concentration and Market Size: Lower Bound Estimates for the Brazilian Industry," CESifo Working Paper Series 2441, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mercedes Teruel & AgustÃ Segarra, 2011. "Productivity and R&D sources in manufacturing and service firms in Catalonia: a regional approach," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1860, European Regional Science Association.
- Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod & Agustí Segarra-Blasco, 2005.
"The Determinants of Entry are not Independent of Start-up Size: Some Evidence from Spanish Manufacturing,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 147-165, 09.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Segarra Blasco, Agustí, 2004. "The Determinants of Entry are not Independent of Start-up Size: Some evidence from Spanish manufacturing," Working Papers 2072/1775, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Holger Görg & Eric Strobl, 2002. "Multinational Companies and Entrant Start-up Size: Evidence from Quantile Regressions," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 15-31, February.
- Colombo, Massimo G. & Grilli, Luca, 2005. "Start-up size: The role of external financing," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 243-250, August.
- Audretsch, David B & Tamvada, Jagannadha Pawan, 2008. "The Distribution of Firm Start-Up Size Across Geographic Space," CEPR Discussion Papers 6846, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Massimo Colombo & Luca Grilli, 2007. "Funding Gaps? Access To Bank Loans By High-Tech Start-Ups," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 25-46, June.
- Colombo, Massimo G. & Delmastro, Marco & Grilli, Luca, 2004. "Entrepreneurs' human capital and the start-up size of new technology-based firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1183-1211, November.
- Agustí Segarra-Blasco, 2007. "Innovation Sources and Productivity: A Quantile Regression Analysis," Working Papers XREAP2007-08, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Oct 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.