The Day after Grant-Aid: Business Development Schemes for Small Rural Firms in Lagging Areas of Greece
AbstractThis paper investigates the need for providing follow up business development instruments to small rural businesses that have benefited from grant aid assistance schemes. A sample of 76 small rural businesses in lagging areas of insular Greece is included in the present survey, and ranks thirteen possible business growth instruments. It is found that business development instruments are ranked according to each firm's economic and human capital characteristics. Furthermore, most firms need the concurrent provision of more than one instrument. Likewise, a mixture of business specific schemes, regulatory interventions and infrastructure projects, better serves their business development needs. Results from the present survey indicate that an integrated business development strategy in lagging areas of Greece should be supported by modern, flexibly tailored combinations of assistance, using complex, multi-instrument sets of support to development efforts. Copyright 2000 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Natário, Maria Manuela & Almeida Couto, João Pedro & Couto de Sousa, Maura Helena, 2012. "Innovation Processes of SMEs in Less Favoured Municipalities of Portugal," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 22, pages 81-103.
- Hernan G. Roxas & Val Lindsay & Nicholas Ashill & Antong Victorio, 2007. "Institutional analysis of strategic choice of micro, small, and medium enterprises : a conceptual framework," Philippine Review of Economics, University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society, vol. 44(1), pages 151-186, June.
- Nicola Meccheri & Gianluigi Pelloni, 2003. "On the role of human capital and instruments of assistance for rural entrepeneurship and development: evidence from a case study in mountainous Italy," Quaderni di Dipartimento 0, Department of Statistics, University of Bologna.
- G. Pelloni, 2004. "On the Role of Human Capital and Instruments of Assistance for Rural Entrepreneurship and Development: Evidence from A Case Study Mountainous Italy; Author-Name: N. Meccheri," Working Papers 504, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Bertrand, Nathalie & Guerin, Marc & Vollet, Dominique & Moquay, Patrick, 2000. "The Territory At The Heart Of The Business Creation Process," ERSA conference papers ersa00p113, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.