Financial Ratio Adjustment: Industry-Wide Effects or Strategic Management
AbstractThis paper proposes al alternative model for analyzing financial ratio behavior. The model postulates that (1) firms' financial ratios reflect unexpected changes in industry conditions; and (2) managers attempt to move their financial ratio toward the long-run desirable target. This model is employed to assess the relay weights of financial ratio movement that are associated with these two forces. The results show that changes in financial ratios can be due to both external shocks and strategic adjustment by management. The amount of financial ratio smoothing due to strategic adjustment appears to be substantial. Furthermore, the speed of convergence toward the optimal targets varies across industries and firms of different size. Copyright 1997 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting.
Volume (Year): 9 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102990
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mate-Sanchez, Mariluz & López Hernández, Fernando A. & Lacambra, Jesus Mur, 2012. "Analyzing long-term average adjustment of financial ratios with spatial interactions," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1370-1376.
- George, Gerard & Zahra, Shaker A. & Wood, D. Jr., 2002. "The effects of business-university alliances on innovative output and financial performance: a study of publicly traded biotechnology companies," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 577-609, October.
- Amanda E. Willsey & Dona Siregar, 2012. "The Effects Of The 2008-2009 Financial Crisis On U.S. Corporate Debt Structure," New York Economic Review, New York State Economics Association (NYSEA), vol. 43(1), pages 16-32.
- Gallizo, Jose L. & Salvador, Manuel, 2003. "Understanding the behavior of financial ratios: the adjustment process," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 267-283.
- Jose Luis Gallizo & Pilar Gargallo & Manuel Salvador, 2008. "Multivariate partial adjustment of financial ratios: a Bayesian hierarchical approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(1), pages 43-64.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.