Stock Prices and Inflation: New Evidence from the Pacific-Basin Countries
AbstractThis paper investigates the statistical relationship between stock prices and inflation in nine countries in the Pacific-Basin. On balance, regression analysis on the nine markets shows negative relationships between stock returns in real terms and inflation in the short run, while co-integration tests on the same markets display a positive relationship between the same variables over the long run. The time path of the response of stock prices plotted against corresponding changes in consumer price indices validates this dichotomy in time-related response patterns of stock prices to inflation; namely, a blip of negative responses at the beginning changes to a positive response over a longer period of time. Stock prices in Asia, like those in the U.S. and Europe, appear to reflect a time-varying memory associated with inflation shocks that make stock portfolios a reasonably good hedge against inflation in the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting.
Volume (Year): 22 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102990
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul Alagidede & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010.
"Can Common Stocks Provide A Hedge Against Inflation? Evidence from African Countries,"
KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
1022, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Alagidede, Paul & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2010. "Can common stocks provide a hedge against inflation? Evidence from African countries," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 91-100, August.
- Paul Alagidede & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Can Common Stocks Provide A Hedge Against Inflation? Evidence from African Countries," Discussion Paper Series 2010_06, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Apr 2010.
- Alagidede, Paul & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2010. "Can Common Stocks Provide A Hedge Against Inflation? Evidence from African Countries," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2010-07, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Paul Alagidede & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Can Common Stocks Provide A Hedge Against Inflation? Evidence from African Countries," Working Paper Series 06_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Hoque, Hafiz A.A.B. & Kim, Jae H. & Pyun, Chong Soo, 2007. "A comparison of variance ratio tests of random walk: A case of Asian emerging stock markets," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 488-502.
- Rushdi, Mustabshira & Kim, Jae H. & Silvapulle, Param, 2012. "ARDL bounds tests and robust inference for the long run relationship between real stock returns and inflation in Australia," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 535-543.
- Quayes, Shakil, 2010. "Does budget deficit lower equity prices in USA?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 155-157, May.
- Asmy, Mohamed & Rohilina, Wisam & Hassama, Aris & Fouad, Md., 2009. "Effects of Macroeconomic Variables on Stock Prices in Malaysia: An Approach of Error Correction Model," MPRA Paper 20970, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.