Growth and Diversification Patterns of the Worldwide Pharmaceutical Industry
AbstractIn this paper we present a description of the growth and diversification patterns of the top firms in the worldwide pharmaceutical industry. We apply parametric and non-parametric methods to the analysis of firms size distribution and its dynamics. Our study confirms the results of previous empirical analyses of the growth dynamics of firms but also reveals structural features of the pharmaceutical industry that have never been investigated before. Using firm sales at a high level of disaggregation, we are able to analyze the diversification structure of the firm and study its relation with the aggregate firm size. Copyright Springer 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 26 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100336
diversification; firm growth; pharmaceutical industry; size distribution;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Angelo Secchi & Federico Tamagni, 2006.
"Financial Fragility and Growth Dynamics of Italian Business Firms,"
LEM Papers Series
2006/07, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Angelo Secchi & Federico Tamagni, 2014.
"Financial constraints and firm dynamics,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 99-116, January.
- Philipp Mundt & Mishael Milakovic & Simone Alfarano, 2014.
"Gibrat's law redux: Think profitability instead of growth,"
2014/02, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Mundt, Philipp & Milakovic, Mishael & Alfarano, Simone, 2014. "Gibrat's law redux: Think profitability instead of growth," BERG Working Paper Series 92, Bamberg University, Bamberg Economic Research Group.
- Coad, Alex, 2010.
"Investigating the exponential age distribution of firms,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 4(17), pages 1-30.
- Coad, Alex, 2010. "Investigating the exponential age distribution of firms," Economics Discussion Papers 2010-12, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Alex Coad, 2009. "Investigating the exponential age distribution of firms," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2009-23, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Elert, Niklas, 2010.
"When is Gibrat's Law a Law?,"
HUI Working Papers
45, HUI Research.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Angelo Secchi & Federico Tamagni, 2008.
"Productivity, profitability and financial performance,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 17(4), pages 711-751, August.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Angelo Secchi & Federico Tamagni, 2006. "Productivity, Profitability and Financial Fragility: Evidence from Italian Business Firms," LEM Papers Series 2006/08, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Alex Coad & Nadia Jacoby & Angelo Secchi, 2005.
"Corporate Growth and Industrial Dynamics: Evidence from French Manufacturing,"
LEM Papers Series
2005/21, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Alex Coad & Nadia Jacoby & Angelo Secchi, 2011. "Corporate growth and industrial dynamics: evidence from French manufacturing," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(1), pages 103-116.
- Gerrit de Wit & Haibo Zhou, 2009. "Determinants and dimensions of firm growth," Scales Research Reports H200903, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Christian Garavaglia & Franco Malerba & Luigi Orsenigo & Michele Pezzoni, 2014. "Innovation and Market Structure in Pharmaceuticals: An Econometric Analysis on Simulated Data," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 234(2-3), pages 274-298, April.
- Christopher Snyder, 2005. "Introduction to the 2004 International Industrial Organization Conference Special Issue," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 145-146, December.
- Tang, Ali, 2014. "Does Gibrat’s Law Hold for Swedish Energy Firms?," HUI Working Papers 99, HUI Research.
- G. Bottazzi & E. Cefis & G. Dosi & A. Secchi, 2007. "Invariances and Diversities in the Patterns of Industrial Evolution: Some Evidence from Italian Manufacturing Industries," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 137-159, June.
- Hessels, Jolanda & Parker, Simon C., 2013. "Constraints, internationalization and growth: A cross-country analysis of European SMEs," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 137-148.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.