Entry Patterns in the Southwest Airlines Route System
AbstractWe estimate a model of city-pair entry for Southwest Airlines using data from 1990 to 2000. In addition to quantifying the market characteristics which have influenced Southwest’s entry decisions, we find evidence that Southwest’s entry strategies have changed significantly throughout the decade. Based on our model’s estimates, we provide an estimate of the foregone fare savings resulting from the Wright and Shelby Amendments. Finally, we identify those markets that are the most likely for future non-stop entry and suggest which network carriers are most vulnerable to future Southwest expansion. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 25 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100336
Airlines; low cost carrier; market entry;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Du, Yan & McMullen, B. Starr & Kerkvliet, Joe R., 2008. "The economic impact of the ATA/Southwest Airlines code-share agreement," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 51-60.
- Andrea Mantovani & Ornella Tarola, 2007.
"Did the Entry of Low Cost Companies Foster the Growth of Strategic Alliances in the Airline Industry?,"
Rivista di Politica Economica,
SIPI Spa, vol. 97(1), pages 189-220, January-F.
- A. Mantovani & O. Tarola, 2006. "Did the entry of low cost companies foster the growth of strategic alliances in the airline industry?," Working Papers 574, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2012. "On the optimal distribution of traffic of network airlines," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 1164-1179.
- Hüschelrath, Kai & Müller, Kathrin, 2012. "The value of bluer skies: How much do consumers gain from entry by JetBlue Airways in long-haul US Airline Markets?," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-072, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Claudio A. Piga & Enrico Bachis, 2006. "Do Prices grow more in Euroland? Evidence from the Airline Industry," Discussion Paper Series 2006_8, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Nov 2006.
- Maria J. Gil-Molto & Claudio A. Piga, 2005.
"Entry and Exit in a Liberalised Market,"
Discussion Paper Series
2005_10, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised May 2006.
- Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2011. "Air services on thin routes: Regional versus low-cost airlines," Working Papers 2072/179624, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Fageda, Xavier, 1975- & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2010. "Technology, business models and network structure in the airline industry," Working Papers 2072/151552, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Hüschelrath, Kai & Müller, Kathrin, 2011. "Patterns and effects of entry in US airline markets," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-059, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2012. "Air services on thin routes: Regional versus low-cost airlines," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 702-714.
- Hüschelrath, Kai & Müller, Kathrin, 2011. "Low cost carriers and the evolution of the US airline industry," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-051, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Oliveira, Alessandro V.M., 2008. "An empirical model of low-cost carrier entry," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 673-695, May.
- Jia Yan & Xiaowen Fu & Tae Oum, 2008. "Exploring Network Effects of Point-to-Point Networks: An Investigation of the Spatial Entry Patterns of Southwest Airlines," Working Papers 2008-21, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Marco Alderighi & Alessandro Cento & Peter Nijkamp & Piet Rietveld, 2011. "Second-degree Price Discrimination and Inter-group Effects in Airline Routes between European Cities," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-118/3, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.