Performance Differences in German Higher Education: Empirical Analysis of Strategic Groups
AbstractInitial investments and different strategic actions of universities lead to their different positions in the higher education sector. Pursuing similar strategies leads to similar positions that influence structure and performance within the system. Institutions cannot only choose to focus on research or on teaching, but also to focus either on natural sciences or social sciences. Using 73 public universities in Germany, this paper examines the existence of strategic groups based on performance. Common strategic variables only partly determine performance in high and low efficiency groups.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 24 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100336
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Berde, Éva & Ványolós, István, 2006.
"A felsőoktatási döntéshozatal szemetesláda-modellje
[The waste model of decision-making in higher education]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(5), pages 465-480.
- Audretsch, David B. & Lehmann, Erik E. & Warning, Susanne, 2005.
"University spillovers and new firm location,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1113-1122, September.
- David Audretsch & Erik Lehmann & Susanne Warning, 2004. "University Spillovers and New Firm Location," Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor 04-13, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- David B. Audretsch & Erik E. Lehmann & Susanne Warning, 2004. "University Spillovers and New Firm Location," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-02, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Garcia-del-Barrio, Pedro, 2008. "Efficiency measurement of the English football Premier League with a random frontier model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 994-1002, September.
- Gerhard Kempkes & Carsten Pohl, 2006. "Zur Effizienz von Hochschulen : erste Ergebnisse für Deutschland," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 13(06), pages 03-13, December.
- Schubert , Torben, 2013. "Are there Scale Economies in Scientific Production? On the Topic of Locally Increasing Returns to Scale," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2013/43, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Lehmann, Erik E. & Warning, Susanne, 2010. "The impact of regional endowment and university characteristics on university efficiency," UO Working Papers 04-10, University of Augsburg, Chair of Management and Organization.
- Zuzana Kučerová, 2012. "Measuring of Efficiency in the Public and Private Sector – Current Research Approaches," Český finanční a účetní časopis, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(2), pages 110-125.
- Alka Obadić & Aleksander Aristovnik, 2011. "Relative efficiency of higher education in Croatia and Slovenia: an international comparison," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 13(30), pages 362-376, June.
- Yolanda Fernández Santos & Almudena Martínez Campillo & José Miguel Fernández Fernández, 2013. "Evaluación de la eficiencia y el cambio de productividad en el sistema universitario público español tras la implantación de la LOU," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 205(2), pages 71-98, June.
- repec:ise:isegwp:wp102008 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zoghbi, Ana Carolina & Rocha, Fabiana & Mattos, Enlinson, 2013. "Education production efficiency: Evidence from Brazilian universities," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 94-103.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.