The Strategic Positioning of Store Brands in Retailer--Manufacturer Negotiations
AbstractStore brands are the only brands for which the retailer is responsible not only for promotion, shelf placement, and pricing, but also for positioning the brand in product space. We argue that retailers strongly value control over store brand positioning because they will be unable to source a national brand with their desired product positioning. This is because retailers have an incentive to position store brands as close substitutes to leading national brands -- a location in product space which other national brand manufacturers would not find profitable. We present empirical evidence that is consistent with the results of our model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 24 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100336
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Amrouche, Nawel & Yan, Ruiliang, 2012. "Implementing online store for national brand competing against private label," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 325-332.
- Choi, Sungchul & Fredj, Karima, 2013. "Price competition and store competition: Store brands vs. national brand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 225(1), pages 166-178.
- Dawes, John & Nenycz-Thiel, Magda, 2013. "Analyzing the intensity of private label competition across retailers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 60-66.
- Bontemps, C. & Orozco, V. & Réquillart, V., 2005.
"Confirming the price effects of private labels development,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse)
200506, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Bontemps, Christophe & Orozco, Valerie & Requillart, Vincent, 2005. "Confirming the Price Effects of Private Labels Development," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24735, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Orozco, Valérie & Réquillart, Vincent, 2005. "Confirming the Price Effects of Private Labels Development," IDEI Working Papers 367, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Ying, Xiongwei & Anders, Sven M., 2013. "Competition between Private Label and National Brand for Health-differentiated Food Product: A Canadian Retailing Case," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 151280, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Beladi, Hamid & Mukherjee, Arijit, 2012. "Market structure and strategic bi-sourcing," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 210-219.
- Lu, Jye-Chyi & Tsao, Yu-Chung & Charoensiriwath, Chayakrit, 2011. "Competition under manufacturer service and retail price," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1256-1264, May.
- Lamey, Lien & Deleersnyder, Barbara & Dekimpe, Marnik & Jan-Benedict E.M., Steenkamp, 2008. "How to mitigate private-label succes in recessions? A cross category investigation," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/198269, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Aydin Celen & Tarkan Erdogan & Tarkan Erdogan, 2005. "Fast Moving Consumer Goods: Competitive Conditions and Policies," ERC Working Papers 0503, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Jun 2005.
- Karray, Salma & Martín-Herrán, Guiomar, 2009. "A dynamic model for advertising and pricing competition between national and store brands," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(2), pages 451-467, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.