The Nature and Benefits of National Brand/Private Label Competition
AbstractThe article highlights the history of national brand/private label competition. It argues that the private labels of large retail chains possess unique competitive weapons to constrain the market power of powerful national brands that are not available to rival manufacturers' brands. Consumer welfare is maximized when private labels and national brands compete vigorously rather than when either one is too dominant. There is some ominous recent evidence that the vigor of national brand/private label competition is sometimes being diminished by collusion between the two kinds of brands.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 24 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100336
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Avi Goldfarb & Qiang Lu & Sridhar Moorthy, 2009.
"Measuring Brand Value in an Equilibrium Framework,"
INFORMS, vol. 28(1), pages 69-86, 01-02.
- Avi Goldfarb & Qiang Lu & Sridhar Moorthy, 2007. "Measuring Brand Value in an Equilibrium Framework," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 099, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Goldfarb, Avi & Lu, Qiang & Moorthy, Sridhar, 2007. "Measuring Brand Value in an Equilibrium Framework," Research Reports 149205, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Dawes, John & Nenycz-Thiel, Magda, 2013. "Analyzing the intensity of private label competition across retailers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 60-66.
- Zhuang, Yan & Dimitri, Carolyn & Jaenicke, Edward C., 2010. "Price Reactions And Organic Price Premiums For Private Label And Branded Milk," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116388, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Choi, Sungchul & Fredj, Karima, 2013. "Price competition and store competition: Store brands vs. national brand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 225(1), pages 166-178.
- Laura Diaconu, 2012. "The Brand Name’S Role In The Purchase Decisions At The Beginning Of The Xxist Century. Empirical Evidences From The North-Eastern Part Of Romania," CES Working Papers, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, vol. 4, pages 306-315, September.
- Nenycz-Thiel, Magda & Sharp, Byron & Dawes, John & Romaniuk, Jenni, 2010. "Competition for memory retrieval between private label and national brands," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(11), pages 1142-1147, November.
- Deleersnyder, B. & Dekimpe, M.G. & Steenkamp, J-B.E.M. & Koll, O., 2005. "Win-Win Strategies at Discount Stores," Research Paper ERS-2005-050-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & Sorgard, Lars, 2007.
"Private labels, price rivalry, and public policy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 403-424, February.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & SÃ¸rgard, Lars, 2000. "Private Labels, Price Rivalry, and Public Policy," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt8wh900ks, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Staahl Gabrielsen, T. & Sorgard, L., 2000. "Private Labels, Price Rivalry, and Public Policy," Papers 8/00, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Paolo Sckokai & Claudio Soregaroli, 2008. "Impact of private label development across retail formats: Evidences from the Italian dairy market," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 87(2), pages 27-47.
- Bergès, Fabian & Bontems, Philippe & Réquillart, Vincent, 2007. "L'impact économique du développement des marques de distributeurs," IDEI Working Papers 455, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Hovhannisyan, Vardges & Gould, Brian W., 2011. "Structural Model of Retail Market Power: The U.S. Milk Industry," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103590, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Fang, Xiang & Gavirneni, Srinagesh & Rao, Vithala R., 2013. "Supply chains in the presence of store brands," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 224(2), pages 392-403.
- Raj Sethuraman, 2009. "Assessing the External Validity of Analytical Results from National Brand and Store Brand Competition Models," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(4), pages 759-781, 07-08.
- Lamey, Lien & Deleersnyder, Barbara & Dekimpe, Marnik & Jan-Benedict E.M., Steenkamp, 2008. "How to mitigate private-label succes in recessions? A cross category investigation," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/198269, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.