Prices and Departures in European Domestic Aviation Markets
AbstractUsing data on 172 domestic city-pair markets in eight European countries, we investigate the effect of the market structure on airlines choices of departures and prices. We find that flag carriers have a higher number of departures than other airlines and that it is more likely that flag carriers are monopolists. At the same time flag carriers do not have a higher ticket price than other airlines. The influence of market power, measured with the Herfindahl index, does not have a significant effect on ticket prices, but a significant effect on the number of departures: decreased market concentration and an increased number of airlines results in increased aggregate frequencies. Comparing the predicted ticket prices, at sample mean, between monopoly and non-monopoly routes we can reject the hypothesis of differences in equilibrium price. However, the predicted aggregate number of departures, calculated at sample mean, is significantly higher at non-monopoly routes compared with monopoly routes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 24 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100336
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xavier Fageda, 2006.
"Measuring Conduct and Cost Parameters in the Spanish Airline Market,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 379-399, June.
- Xavier Fageda, 2005. "Measuring Conduct And Cost Parameters In The Spanish Airline Market," Industrial Organization 0511011, EconWPA.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2010.
"Scheduled service versus personal transportation: The role of distance,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 60-72, January.
- Volodymir BilotKach & Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2009. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance," Working Papers 2009-10, FEDEA.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2008. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance," Working Papers XREAP2008-13, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2008.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2009. "Scheduled Service Versus Personal Transportation: The Role of Distance," Working Papers 2072/15846, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Claudio A. Piga & Enrico Bachis, 2007.
"Hub Premium, Airport Dominance and Market Power in the European Airline Industry,"
Discussion Paper Series
2007_11, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Apr 2007.
- Enrico Bachis & Claudio A. Piga, 2006. "Hub Premium, Airport Dominance and Market Power in the European Airline Industry," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 96(5), pages 11-54, September.
- Bergantino, Angela Stefania & Capozza, Claudia, 2013.
"Airline Pricing Behaviour under Limited Intermodal Competition,"
48892, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 27 Nov 2013.
- Angela Stefania Bergantino & Capozza, Claudia, 2012. "Airline Pricing Behaviour Under Limited Intermodal Competition," Working Papers 1206, SIET Società Italiana di Economia dei Trasporti e della Logistica, revised 2012.
- Richard Chiburis & Michael Lokshin, 2007. "Maximum likelihood and two-step estimation of an ordered-probit selection model," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(2), pages 167-182, June.
- Ofelia Betancor & Juan Luis JimÃƒÂ©nez, 2011. "When trains go faster than planes: the strategic reaction of airlines in Spain," ERSA conference papers ersa11p295, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.