Network Costs and the Regulation of Wholesale Competition in Electric Power
AbstractWe characterize the cost function for electric power transmission. It is complex and non-linear, exhibiting scale economies over its range. The social planning problem for network transmission expansion is illustrated with a simple numerical example. The regulatory problem for joint generation and transmission cost minimization is addressed. It is shown that information asymmetries about the transmission cost function can lead to coordination losses when there is competition in the generation segment. We parametrize the tradeoff between potential coordination losses in transmission planning and benefits of competition and examine some potential alternatives for improved regulation of the transmission planning process. Copyright 1993 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 5 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul Lehmann & Felix Creutzig & Melf-Hinrich Ehlers & Nele Friedrichsen & Clemens Heuson & Lion Hirth & Robert Pietzcker, 2012. "Carbon Lock-Out: Advancing Renewable Energy Policy in Europe," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(2), pages 323-354, February.
- Keller, Katja & Wild, Jorg, 2004. "Long-term investment in electricity: a trade-off between co-ordination and competition?," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 243-251, December.
- Matsukawa, Isamu, 2008.
"The effects of average revenue regulation on electricity transmission investment and pricing,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 696-714, May.
- Isamu Matsukawa, 2005. "The Effects of Average Revenue Regulation on Electricity Transmission Investment and Pricing," Industrial Organization 0512009, EconWPA.
- Pattanariyankool, Sompop & Lave, Lester B., 2010. "Optimizing transmission from distant wind farms," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 2806-2815, June.
- Nele Friedrichsen, 2011. "Governing Smart Grids - the Case for an Independent System Operator," Bremen Energy Working Papers 0011, Bremer Energie Institut.
- Kumkar, Lars, 1996. "Wettbewerb im Stromsektor der USA I: Re-Regulierung der Großhandelsebene," Kiel Working Papers 738, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.