Bottleneck co-ownership as a regulatory alternative
AbstractThis paper proposes a regulatory mechanism for vertically related industries in which the upstream âbottleneckâ segment faces significant returns to scale while other (downstream) segments may be more competitive. In the proposed mechanism, the ownership of the upstream firm is allocated to downstream firms in proportion to their shares of input purchases. This mechanism, while preserving downstream competition, partially internalizes the benefits of exploiting economies of scale resulting from an increase in downstream output. We show that this mechanism is more efficient than a disintegrated market structure in which the upstream natural monopoly bottleneck sets a price equal to average cost.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 41 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
Regulation; Vertically related industries; Co-ownership; L22; L51;
Other versions of this item:
- Federico Boffa & John Panzar, 2011. "Bottleneck co-ownership as a regulatory alternative," Working Papers 2011/38, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743, December.
- Park, Yong-Sam & Ahn, Byong-Hun, 1999. "Joint ownership and interconnection pricing in network industries," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 183-198, June.
- Joseph J. Spengler, 1950. "Vertical Integration and Antitrust Policy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58, pages 347.
- Kenneth Fjell & Øystein Foros & Debashis Pal, 2010.
"Endogenous Average Cost Based Access Pricing,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 149-162, March.
- Kenneth Fjell & Øystein Foros & Debashis Pal, 2006. "Endogenous Average Cost Based Access Pricing," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2006-01, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics.
- Mark Armstrong & David Sappington, 2005.
"Regulation, Competition and Liberalization,"
0505011, EconWPA, revised 07 Oct 2005.
- Lee, Sang Hyup & Hamilton, Jonathan H, 1999. "Using Market Structure to Regulate a Vertically Integrated Monopolist," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 223-48, May.
- Vickers, John, 1995. "Competition and Regulation in Vertically Related Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Kühn, Kai-Uwe & Vives, Xavier, 1995.
"Excess Entry, Vertical Integration and Welfare,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1293, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F. & Salop, Steven C., 1986. "Quantifying the competitive effects of production joint ventures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 155-175, June.
- Loeb, Martin & Magat, Wesley A, 1979. "A Decentralized Method for Utility Regulation," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 399-404, October.
- Daniel F. Spulber, 1989. "Regulation and Markets," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262192756, December.
- Beard, T Randolph & Kaserman, David L & Mayo, John W, 2001. "Regulation, Vertical Integration and Sabotage," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 319-33, September.
- Philip G. Gayle, 2008. "An Empirical Analysis of the Competitive Effects of the Delta/Continental/Northwest Code-Share Alliance," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 743-766, November.
- Kenneth Fjell & Oystein Foros & Hans Jarle Kind, 2013. "On the Choice of Royalty Rule to Cover Fixed Costs in Input Joint Ventures," CESifo Working Paper Series 4332, CESifo Group Munich.
- Steffen Hoernig & Ingo Vogelsang, 2012. "The Ambivalence of Two-Part Tariffs for Bottleneck Access," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp568, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2013.
"The Endgame of Telecommunications Policy? A Survey,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4545, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2013. "The Endgame of Telecommunications Policy? A Survey," Review of Economics, Lucius & Lucius, vol. 64(3), pages 193-269.
- Kenneth Fjell & Debashis Pal & David Sappington, 2013. "On the performance of endogenous access pricing," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 237-250, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.