Access to Pipelines in Competitive Gas Markets
AbstractIn this paper we provide the normative benchmark characterizing the optimal allocation of resources in a gas network. By duality, we determine the consumer and producer prices, at each node of the network, which decentralize this allocation with competitive actors. From the nodal prices we derive optimal transportation charges which turn out to be related to distance, but not always in a straightforward manner. We also consider the issue of pricing on secondary markets for capacity when pricing schedules for the transportation of gas consist of two terms: a capacity charge and a quantity charge. Finally, we explore the role of uncertainty in the planning of network capacity. Copyright 2003 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Corinne Chaton & Anna Creti & Bertrand Villeneuve, 2005.
"The Economics of Seasonal Gas Storage,"
2005-52, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- CHATON Corinne & CRETI Anna & VILLENEUVE Bertrand, 2006. "The Economics of Seasonal Gas Storage," LERNA Working Papers 06.01.194, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Villeneuve, Bertrand & Creti, Anna & Chaton, Corinne, 2005. "The Economics of Seasonal Gas Storage," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11515, Paris Dauphine University.
- Chaton, Corinne & Gasmi, Farid & Guillerminet, Marie-Laure & Oviedo, Juan-Daniel, 2012. "Gas release and transport capacity investment as instruments to foster competition in gas markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1251-1258.
- Christian von Hirschhausen, 2006.
"Reform de"r Erdgaswirtschaft in der EU und in Deutschland: Wie viel Regulierung braucht der Wettbewerb?,"
Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7(1), pages 89-103, 02.
- Christian von Hirschhausen & Thorsten Beckers, 2004. "Reform der Erdgaswirtschaft in der EU und in Deutschland: wie viel Regulierung braucht der Wettbewerb?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 440, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Gasmi, Farid & Oviedo, Juan Daniel, 2010. "Investment in transport infrastructure, regulation, and gas-gas competition," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 726-736, May.
- Farid Gasmi & Juan Daniel Oviedo, 2012. "Controlling regional monopolies in the natural gas industry: the role of transport capacity," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 010073, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Georg Meran & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2004. "Corporate Self-Regulation vs. Ex-Ante Regulation of Network Access: A Model of the German Gas Sector," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 436, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Knut Einar Rosendahl & Eirik Lund Sagen, 2007.
"The Global Natural Gas Market. Will transport cost reductions lead to lower prices?,"
523, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Knut Einar Rosendahl & Eirik Lund Sagen, 2009. "The Global Natural Gas Market: Will Transport Cost Reductions Lead to Lower Prices?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 17-40.
- Severin Borenstein & Meghan Busse & Ryan Kellogg, 2007. "Principal-agent Incentives, Excess Caution, and Market Inefficiency: Evidence From Utility Regulation," NBER Working Papers 13679, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- GABRIEL, Steven & SMEERS, Yves, 2005. "Complementarity problems in restructured natural gas markets," CORE Discussion Papers 2005037, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Farid Gasmi & Juan Daniel Oviedo, 2012. "Investment in transport capacity and regulation of regional monopolies in natural gas commodity markets," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 010074, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.