Optimal Pricing and Price-Cap Regulation in the Postal Sector
AbstractThis paper studies the optimal price structure in the postal sector when worksharing is available (e.g., for collection, sorting and transportation) and when the operator faces a break-even constraint. Users differ in opportunity and cost to engage in worksharing. We determine the optimal worksharing discount and provide sufficient conditions (on demand functions) under which it exceeds the ECPR level. Furthermore, we show that the optimal prices can be implemented through a global price cap imposed on a weighted average of the prices of all products. The appropriate weights are proportional to the market demand (evaluated at optimal prices) of the corresponding products. Copyright 2003 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Roy, Bernard & Toledano, Joëlle & de Villemeur, Étienne, 2005.
"Worksharing, Access and Bypass: The Structure of Prices in the Postal Sector,"
IDEI Working Papers
360, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Oct 2006.
- E. Villemeur & Helmuth Cremer & Bernard Roy & Joëlle Toledano, 2007. "Worksharing, access and bypass: the structure of prices in the postal sector," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 67-85, August.
- Christian Jaag, 2013.
"Price Regulation and the Financing of Universal Services in Network Industries,"
0039, Swiss Economics.
- Jaag Christian, 2013. "Price Regulation and the Financing of Universal Services in Network Industries," Review of Law & Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 125-150, September.
- Gatta, Valerio & Marcucci, Edoardo, 2007.
"Quality and public transport service contracts,"
European Transport \ Trasporti Europei,
ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 36, pages 92-106.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Andreas Grütter & Martin Lutzenberger & Catia Felisberto & Matthias Finger, 2008. "The Effect of Entry Regulation on Process Innovation in the Swiss Mail Industry," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 144(I), pages 37-55, March.
- Angela S. Bergantino & Etienne Billette de Villemeur & Annalisa Vinella, 2006. "A Model of Partial Regulation in the Maritime Ferry Industry," series 0010, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Metodi Matematici - Università di Bari, revised Jan 2006.
- Luis Fernando Gamboa Niño & Leslie Bravo Chew, 2005.
"Subsidios cruzados: el caso del sector postal,"
BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN
003530, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Angela S. Bergantino & Etienne Billette De Villemeur & Annalisa Vinella, 2011.
"Partial Regulation in Vertically Differentiated Industries,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 13(2), pages 255-287, 04.
- Bergantino, Angela Stefania & de Villemeur, Étienne & Vinella, Annalisa, 2007. "Partial Regulation in Vertically Differentiated Industries," IDEI Working Papers 502, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Apr 2010.
- Kevin Currier, 2011. "Optimal Pricing and Entry Rules When a Regulated Dominant Firm Faces a Competitive Fringe," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 465-475, November.
- Joan Calzada, 2009. "Access charges under two-tier pricing," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 296-311, June.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Roy, Bernard & Toledano, Joëlle & de Villemeur, Étienne, 2003. "Access Pricing and Imperfect Competition," IDEI Working Papers 217, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.