Multi-dimensional Procurement Auctions for Power Reserves: Robust Incentive-Compatible Scoring and Settlement Rules
AbstractSystem operators in the electricity industry purchase reserve capacity in a procurement auction in which suppliers offer two-part bids, one part for making capacity available and another part for supplying incremental energy when called. Key ingredients of an efficient auction design are the scoring rule for comparing bids, and the settlement rule for paying accepted bids. We use the principle of incentive compatibility to establish that very simple rules suffice. In particular, the scoring rule uses only the capacity part of the bid, and energy supplies are paid the spot price. This is the design adopted in California. Copyright 2002 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Försund, Finn & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 2010. "Renewable Energy Expansion and the Value of Balance Regulation Power," Working Papers in Economics 441, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Ramteen Sioshansi & Emma Nicholson, 2011. "Towards equilibrium offers in unit commitment auctions with nonconvex costs," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 41-61, August.
- Sebastian Just, 2011. "Appropriate contract durations in the German markets for on-line reserve capacity," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 194-220, April.
- repec:wut:journl:v:3:y:2013:id:1096 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richter, Jan, 2011. "A Unique Competitive Equilibrium on Interdependent Spot Electricity and Reserve Capacity Markets," EWI Working Papers 2011-9, Energiewirtschaftliches Institut an der Universitaet zu Koeln.
- Knittel, Christopher R & Metaxoglou, Konstantinos, 2008. "Diagnosing Unilateral Market Power in Electricity Reserves Market," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt14q6c0mk, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Jens Leth Hougaard & Kurt Nielsen & Athanasios Papakonstantinou, 2012. "A Simple Multi-attribute Yardstick Auction Without Prior Scoring," MSAP Working Paper Series 02_2012, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Rosen, Christiane & Madlener, Reinhard, 2012. "Auction Design for Local Reserve Energy Markets," FCN Working Papers 7/2012, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN), revised Mar 2013.
- Woo, Chi-Keung & Karimov, Rouslan I. & Horowitz, Ira, 2004. "Managing electricity procurement cost and risk by a local distribution company," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 635-645, March.
- Anke Weidlich & Daniel Veit, 2008. "Agent-Based Simulations for Electricity Market Regulation Advice: Procedures and an Example," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 228(2+3), pages 149-172, June.
- Charles Zheng, 2000.
"Optimal Auction in a Multidimensional World,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0296, Econometric Society.
- Jens Leth Hougaard & Kurt Nielsen & Athanasios Papakonstantinou, 2013. "A Multi-attribute Yardstick Auction without Prior Scoring," MSAP Working Paper Series 02_2013, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics, revised Mar 2014.
- Flinkerbusch, Kai & Heuterkes, Michael, 2010. "Cost reduction potentials in the German market for balancing power," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 4712-4718, August.
- Rosellon, Juan, 2006. "Different Approaches to Supply Adequacy in Electricity Markets," MPRA Paper 21944, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Just, Sebastian & Weber, Christoph, 2008. "Pricing of reserves: Valuing system reserve capacity against spot prices in electricity markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 3198-3221, November.
- Woo, C.K. & Kollman, E. & Orans, R. & Price, S. & Horii, B., 2008. "Now that California has AMI, what can the state do with it?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1366-1374, April.
- Konstantinos Metaxoglou & Aaron Smith, 2007. "Efficiency of the California electricity reserves market," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(6), pages 1127-1144.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.