The Competitive Impact of Disclosure Requirements in the Credit Card Industry
AbstractTheoretical studies have questioned the efficacy of mandatory disclosure requirements under various conditions, but empirical studies of disclosure requirements have been rare. This paper tests the impact of the Fair Credit and Charge Card Disclosure Act of 1988, enacted specifically to increase the degree of competition in the credit card industry in the face of suspected consumer search costs. The findings suggest that the Act failed to achieve its intended purpose. Copyright 1999 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sangkyun Park, 1997. "Option value of credit lines as an explanation of high credit card rates," Research Paper 9702, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Manthos D. Delis & K. Christos Staikouras & Panagiotis T. Varlagas, 2008.
"On the Measurement of Market Power in the Banking Industry,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(7-8), pages 1023-1047.
- Delis, Manthos D & Staikouras, Christos & Varlagas, Panagiotis, 2008. "On the measurement of market power in the banking industry," MPRA Paper 14038, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chun-Yu Ho, 2007.
"Deregulation, Competition and Consumer Welfare in Banking Market: Evidence from Hong Kong,"
242007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Chun-Yu Ho, 2010. "Deregulation, competition and consumer welfare in a banking market: evidence from Hong Kong," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 70-97, February.
- Akin, Guzin Gulsun & Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Borici, Denada & Yildiran, Levent, 2013. "Regulate one service, tame the entire market: Credit cards in Turkey," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1195-1204.
- Stango, Victor, 2003.
"Strategic Responses to Regulatory Threat in the Credit Card Market,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(2), pages 427-52, October.
- Victor Stango, 2002. "Strategic responses to regulatory threat in the credit card market," Working Paper Series WP-02-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Tabacco, Giovanni Alberto, 2013. "A new way to assess banking competition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 167-169.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Acharya, Ram N. & Kagan, Albert, 2008.
"Spatial competition and market power in banking,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 436-454.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Acharya, Ram N. & Kagan, Albert, 2007. "Spatial Competition and Market Power in Banking," 2007 1st Forum, February 15-17, 2007, Innsbruck, Austria 6566, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Coccorese, Paolo, 2005. "Competition in markets with dominant firms: A note on the evidence from the Italian banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1083-1093, May.
- Jacob Bikker & Sherrill Shaffer & Laura Spierdijk, 2009.
"Assessing Competition with the Panzar-Rosse Model: The Role of Scale, Costs, and Equilibrium,"
DNB Working Papers
225, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Sherrill Shaffer & Laura Spierdijk, 2012. "Assessing Competition with the Panzar-Rosse Model: The Role of Scale, Costs, and Equilibrium," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(4), pages 1025-1044, November.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Sherrill Shaffer & Laura Spierdijk, 2009. "Assessing Competition with the Panzar-Rosse Model: The Role of Scale, Costs, and Equilibrium," CAMA Working Papers 2009-27, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- J.A. Bikker & Sherril Shaffer & Laura Spierdijk, 2009. "Assessing competition with the Panzar-Rosse model: the role of scale, costs, and equilibrium," Working Papers 09-27, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Delis, Manthos D. & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2009.
"The joint estimation of bank-level market power and efficiency,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1842-1850, October.
- Delis, Manthos D & Tsionas, Efthymios, 2009. "The joint estimation of bank-level market power and efficiency," MPRA Paper 14040, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kulasekaran, Sivakumar & Shaffer, Sherrill, 2002. "Cost efficiency among credit card banks," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 595-614.
- Sangkyun Park, 2004. "Consumer rationality and credit card pricing: An explanation based on the option value of credit lines," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(5), pages 243-254.
- Horst Gischer & Mike Stiele, 2009. "Competition Tests with a Non-Structural Model: the Panzar-Rosse Method Applied to Germany's Savings Banks," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10, pages 50-70, 02.
- Toolsema, Linda A., 2002. "Competition in the Dutch consumer credit market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2215-2229, November.
- Coccorese, Paolo & Pellecchia, Alfonso, 2013. "Multimarket contact, competition and pricing in banking," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 187-214.
- Park, Kang H., 2009. "Has bank consolidation in Korea lessened competition?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 651-667, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.