Econometric Cost Structure Estimates for Cellular Telephony in the United States
AbstractThis article estimates economies of scale for a sample of five cellular telephony firms in the United States. We reject constant returns to scale for all but the smallest firm studied; the remaining firms exhibit decreasing returns to scale. This finding suggests that scale economies cannot be used to justify the current regulated duopoly structure of United States cellular markets. Copyright 1997 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gasmi, Farid & Ivaldi, Marc & Recuero Virto, Laura, 2009.
"An empirical analysis of cellular demand in South Africa,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gasmi, Farid & Ivaldi, Marc & Recuero Virto, Laura, 2008. "An Empirical Analysis of Cellular Demand in South Africa," IDEI Working Papers 531, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Gasmi, Farid & Ivaldi, Marc & Recuero Virto, Laura, 2009. "An Empirical Analysis of Cellular Demand in South Africa," TSE Working Papers 09-091, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Joshua S. Gans & Stephen P. King & Julian Wright, 2005. "Wireless Communications," Development Research Unit Working Paper Series archive-45, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Bloch, Harry, et al, 2001.
"The Cost Structure of Australian Telecommunications,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(239), pages 338-50, December.
- Bloch, Harry & Madden, Gary G & Coble-Neal, Grant, 2001. "The cost structure of Australian telecommunications," MPRA Paper 11019, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Takanori Ida & Toshifumi Kuroda, 2009. "Discrete choice model analysis of mobile telephone service demand in Japan," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 65-80, February.
- Gruber, Harald, 2001. "Competition and innovation: The diffusion of mobile telecommunications in Central and Eastern Europe," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 19-34, March.
- Michael Crew & Paul Kleindorfer, 2012. "Regulatory economics and the journal of regulatory economics: a 30-year retrospective," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Victor Glass & Stela Stefanova, 2012. "Economies of scale for broadband in rural United States," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 100-119, February.
- Piacenza, Massimiliano & Vannoni, Davide, 2004. "Choosing among alternative cost function specifications: an application to Italian multi-utilities," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 415-422, March.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Pereira, Pedro, 2005.
"Entry, Cost Reduction and Competition in The Portuguese Mobile Telephone Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4993, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Pereira, Pedro, 2007. "Entry, costs reduction, and competition in the Portuguese mobile telephony industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 461-481, June.
- Philippe Gagnepain & Pedro Pereira, 2007. "Entry, Costs Reduction, and Competition in the Portuguese Mobile Telephony Industry," Post-Print hal-00622837, HAL.
- Ottoz Elisabetta & Di Giacomo Marina, 2008.
"Diversification strategies and scope economies: Evidence from a sample of Italian regional bus transport Pproviders,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers
200802, University of Turin.
- Elisabetta Ottoz & Marina Di Giacomo, 2012. "Diversification strategies and scope economies: evidence from a sample of Italian regional bus transport providers," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(22), pages 2867-2880, August.
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 2010. "The relationship between mobile and fixed-line communications: A survey," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 4-17, March.
- Nemoto, Jiro & Asai, Sumiko, 2002. "Scale economies, technical change and productivity growth in Japanese local telecommunications services," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 305-320, August.
- Madden, Gary G & Bloch, Harry & Coble-Neal, Grant, 2002.
"Labour and capital saving technical change in telecommunications,"
10683, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gary Madden & Harry Bloch & Grant Coble-Neal, 2002. "Labour and capital saving technical change in telecommunications," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(14), pages 1821-1828.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.