Further Evidence on the Relationship between Economic Freedom and Economic Growth
AbstractOften it is maintained that economic freedom may further high levels of economic growth. Using various measures of economic freedom constructed by G. W. Scully and D. J. Slottje (1991), the robustness of this relationship is examined. Both direct and indirect effects of lack of liberties are analyzed. The authors' main conclusion is that the link between economic freedom and economic growth depends upon the measure used: for some indicators of economic freedom there appears a robust direct relationship, while for others there is no such relationship. Investment is not related to the authors' indicators for economic freedom. Copyright 1998 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Public Choice.
Volume (Year): 95 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100332
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Henryk Gurgul & Łukasz Lach, 2011.
"The Nexus between Improvements in Economic Freedom and Growth: Evidence from CEE Countries in Transition,"
Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics,
CEJEME, vol. 3(3), pages 133-168, September.
- Gurgul, Henryk & Lach, Łukasz, 2011. "The Nexus between Improvements in Economic Freedom and Growth: Evidence from CEE Countries in Transition," MPRA Paper 52260, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gurgul, Henryk & Lach, Łukasz, 2011. "The nexus between economic freedom and growth: Evidence from CEE countries in transition," MPRA Paper 37434, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin Rode & Sebastian Coll, 2012. "Economic freedom and growth. Which policies matter the most?," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 95-133, June.
- Mariusz Próchniak, 2013. "To What Extent Is the Institutional Environment Responsible for Worldwide Differences in Economic Development," Contemporary Economics, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 7(3), October.
- Jakob De Haan & Susanna Lundström & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2006.
"Market-oriented institutions and policies and economic growth: A critical survey,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 157-191, 04.
- Jakob de Haan & Susanna Lundstroem & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2005. "Market oriented institutions and policies and economic growth: A critical survey," TWI Research Paper Series 5, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universität Konstanz.
- Graeff, P. & Mehlkop, G., 2003. "The impact of economic freedom on corruption: different patterns for rich and poor countries," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 605-620, September.
- Boockmann, Bernhard & Dreher, Axel, 2003.
"The contribution of the IMF and the World Bank to economic freedom,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 633-649, September.
- Bernhard Boockmann & Axel Dreher, 2002. "The Contribution of the IMF and the World Bank to Economic Freedom," International Finance 0207001, EconWPA.
- Boockmann, Bernhard & Dreher, Axel, 2002. "The Contribution of the IMF and the World Bank to Economic Freedom," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-18, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Jac C. Heckelman, 2000. "Economic Freedom and Economic Growth: A Short-run Causal Investigation," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 71-91, May.
- Ossama Mikhail, 2004. "Economic Freedom and The Business Cycle: The Egyptian Experience," Macroeconomics 0402002, EconWPA.
- Rode, Martin & Gwartney, James D., 2012. "Does democratization facilitate economic liberalization?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 607-619.
- Cebula, Richard & Clark, J.R. & Mixon, Franklin, 2012. "The Impact of Economic Freedom on Per Capita Real GDP: A Study of OECD Nation," MPRA Paper 49220, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Feb 2013.
- Hossein Panahi & Ahmad Assadzadeh & Ramiar Refaei, 2014. "Economic Freedom and Economic Growth in Mena Countries," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 4(1), pages 105-116, January.
- Gugler, Klaus & Mueller, Dennis C. & Peev, Evgeni & Segalla, Esther, 2013. "Institutional determinants of domestic and foreign subsidiaries’ performance," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 88-96.
- Haan, Jakob de & Sturm, Jan-Egbert, 1999.
"On the relationship between economic freedom and economic growth,"
CCSO Working Papers
199903, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- de Haan, Jakob & Sturm, Jan-Egbert, 2000. "On the relationship between economic freedom and economic growth," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 215-241, June.
- Hugo Faria & Hugo Montesinos, 2009. "Does economic freedom cause prosperity? An IV approach," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 141(1), pages 103-127, October.
- Hadhek Zouhaier & Kefi Mohamed Karim, 2012. "Democracy, Investment and Economic Growth," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(3), pages 233-240.
- Richard Cebula & J. Clark, 2012. "Lessons from the experience of OECD nations on macroeconomic growth and economic freedom, 2004–2008," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 59(3), pages 231-243, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.