Club Theory: Thirty Years Later
AbstractThis paper presents a self-contained survey of club theory with an emphasis on the contributions of the last fifteen years. Club goods are contrasted with pure public goods, and equilibrium and optimality notions are contrasted. After presenting three basic representations of club theory, the authors focus on recent advances and generalizations that include heterogeneous memberships, transaction costs, uncertain utilization, asymmetric information, and noncompetitive influences. An agenda for research is indicated that includes further analysis of asymmetric information, institutional structure, and applications. Copyright 1997 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Public Choice.
Volume (Year): 93 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100332
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
RePEc Biblio mentionsAs found on the RePEc Biblio, the curated bibliography for Economics:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Miyuki Nagashima & Rob Dellink, 2007.
"Technology Spillovers and Stability of International Climate Coalitions,"
2007.98, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Miyuki Nagashima & Rob Dellink, 2008. "Technology spillovers and stability of international climate coalitions," International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 343-365, December.
- Brandi, Clara & Wohlgemuth, Michael, 2006. "Strategies of Flexible Integration and Enlargement of the European Union: a Club-theoretical and Constitutional Economics Perspective," Freiburg Discussion Papers on Constitutional Economics 06/7, Walter Eucken Institut e.V..
- Franks, Jeremy, 2010. "Boundary organizations for sustainable land management: The example of Dutch Environmental Co-operatives," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 283-295, December.
- Elvio Accinelli & Silvia London & Lionello F. Punzo & Edgar J. Sanchez Carrera, 2010. "Dynamic Complementarities, Efficiency and Nash Equilibria for Populations of Firms and Workers," Journal of Economics and Econometrics, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels, vol. 53(1), pages 90-110.
- Ahrens, Joachim & Ohr, Renate & Zeddies, Götz, 2006. "Enhanced cooporation in an enlarged EU," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 53, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:8:y:2006:i:13:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Todd Sandler, 2013. "Buchanan clubs," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 265-284, December.
- Simon Clark & Ravi Kanbur, 2006.
"Samuelson machines and the optimal public-private mix,"
AccessEcon, vol. 8(13), pages 1-11.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Clark, Simon, 2002. "Samuelson Machines and the Optimal Public-Private Mix," Working Papers 127321, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Simon Clark & Ravi Kanbur, 2004. "Samuelson Machines and the Optimal Public-Private Mix," ESE Discussion Papers 83, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Leeson, Peter T., 2011. "Government, clubs, and constitutions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 301-308.
- DeWald, Joshua & Espey, Molly & Hammig, Michael D., 2004. "Implementation of Village Self-Help Projects in the Kyrgyz Republic," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1927-1938, November.
- Akutagawa, Kazunori & Mun, Se-il, 2005. "Private goods provided by local governments," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 23-48, January.
- Nicholas E. Burger & Charles D. Kolstad, 2009. "Voluntary Public Goods Provision, Coalition Formation, and Uncertainty," NBER Working Papers 15543, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sandler, Todd, 2001. "On financing global and international public goods," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2638, The World Bank.
- John Tschirhart, 2003. "Ecological Transfers in Non-Human Communities Parallel Economic Markets in a General Equilibrium Ecosystem Model," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 193-214, May.
- Sigüenza, Waleska & Mariel, Petr, 2012. "Determinantes de la pertenencia a entidades deportivas/Factors Affecting Sport Organizations Membership," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 467-488, Agosto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.