Fiscal policy and reelection in Brazilian municipalities
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Public Choice.
Volume (Year): 137 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100332
Reelection; Brazilian municipalities; Panel data econometrics; H72; C23; C25;
Other versions of this item:
- Sakurai, Sergio N. & Menezes, Naercio A., 2008. "Fiscal policy and reelection in Brazilian municipalities," Insper Working Papers wpe_117, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- H72 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Budget and Expenditures
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brender, Adi, 2003. "The effect of fiscal performance on local government election results in Israel: 1989-1998," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(9-10), pages 2187-2205, September.
- Akhmed Akhmedov & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2004.
"Opportunistic Political Cycles: Test in A Young Democracy Setting,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 119(4), pages 1301-1338, November.
- Akhmed Akhmedov & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2003. "Opportunistic Political Cycles: Test in a Young Democracy Setting," Working Papers w0024, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Akhmed Akhmedov & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2004. "Opportunistic Political Cycles: Test in a Young Democracy Setting," Economics Working Papers 0047, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Francisco José Veiga & Linda Gonçalves Veiga, 2004.
"Political Business Cycles at the Municipal Level,"
NIPE Working Papers
4/2004, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1990.
"Equilibrium Political Budget Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
2428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peltzman, Sam, 1992. "Voters as Fiscal Conservatives," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 327-61, May.
- Berger, Helge & Woitek, Ulrich, 1997. " Searching for Political Business Cycles in Germany," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 91(2), pages 179-97, April.
- Bonomo, Marco Antônio Cesar & Terra, Maria Cristina T., 2001.
"Elections and Exchange Rate Policy Cycles,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
435, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Alberto Alesina & Nouriel Roubini & Gerald D. Cohen, 1997. "Political Cycles and the Macroeconomy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262510944, January.
- Brender, Adi & Drazen, Allan, 2003. "Where Does the Political Budget Cycle Really Come From?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4049, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nordhaus, William D, 1975. "The Political Business Cycle," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 169-90, April.
- Veiga, Linda G. & Veiga, Francisco Jose, 2007.
"Does opportunism pay off?,"
Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 177-182, August.
- Adi Brender & Allan Drazen, 2005. "How Do Budget Deficits and Economic Growth Affect Reelection Prospects? Evidence from a Large Cross-Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 11862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrigo Cerda & Rodrigo Vergara, 2007. "Business cycle and political election outcomes: Evidence from the Chilean democracy," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 132(1), pages 125-136, July.
- Drazen, Allan & Eslava, Marcela, 2010. "Electoral manipulation via voter-friendly spending: Theory and evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 39-52, May.
- Min Shi & Jakob Svensson, 2003. "Political Budget Cycles: A Review of Recent Developments," Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 29, pages 67-76.
- Firpo, Sergio & Ponczek, Vladimir & Sanfelice, Viviane, 2014. "The Relationship between Federal Budget Amendments and Local Electoral Power," IZA Discussion Papers 7918, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sakurai, Sergio Naruhiko & Menezes, Naercio, 2010.
"Opportunistic and Partisan Election Cycles in Brazil: New Evidence at the Municipal Level,"
Insper Working Papers
wpe_208, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Sergio Sakurai & Naercio Menezes-Filho, 2011. "Opportunistic and partisan election cycles in Brazil: new evidence at the municipal level," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 148(1), pages 233-247, July.
- Maria Teresa Balaguer-Coll & María Isabel Brun-Martos & Anabel Forte & Emili Tortosa-Ausina, 2014. "Determinants of local governments’ reelection: New evidence based on a Bayesian approach," Working Papers 2014/06, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Mario Mechtel & Niklas Potrafke, 2011.
"Electoral Cycles in Active Labor Market Policies,"
Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz
2011-39, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Mechtel, Mario & Potrafke, Niklas, 2011. "Electoral Cycles in Active Labor Market Policies," University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Aurélie Cassette & Etienne Farvaque & Jérôme Héricourt, 2013.
"Two-round elections, one-round determinants? Evidence from the French municipal elections,"
Springer, vol. 156(3), pages 563-591, September.
- Cassette, Aurélie & Farvaque, Etienne & Héricourt, Jérôme, 2011. "Two-round elections, one-round determinants? Evidence from the French municipal elections," MPRA Paper 34675, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Potrafke, Niklas, 2009.
"Political cycles and economic performance in OECD countries: empirical evidence from 1951-2006,"
23751, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Niklas Potrafke, 2012. "Political cycles and economic performance in OECD countries: empirical evidence from 1951–2006," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 150(1), pages 155-179, January.
- Linda Gonçalves Veiga, 2013.
"Voting functions in the EU-15,"
Springer, vol. 157(3), pages 411-428, December.
- Laura Bianchini & Federico Revelli, 2011.
"Green polities: urban environmental performance and government popularity,"
2011/18, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Laura Bianchini & Federico Revelli, 2013. "Green Polities: Urban Environmental Performance and Government Popularity," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 72-90, 03.
- Bianchini Laura & Revelli Federico, 2011. "Green Polities: Urban Environmental Performance and Government Popularity," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201104, University of Turin.
- Massimo Bordignon & Santino Piazza, 2010.
"Who do you blame in local finance? An analysis of municipal financing in Italy,"
DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza
ief0094, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Massimo Bordignon & Santino Piazza, 2010. "Who do you Blame in Local Finance? An Analysis of Municipal Financing in Italy," CESifo Working Paper Series 3100, CESifo Group Munich.
- Akihiko Kawaura, 2010. "Self-Serving Mayors and Local Government Consolidations in Japan," Working Papers 201014, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Marika Cioffi & Giovanna Messina & Pietro Tommasino, 2012. "Parties, institutions and political budget cycles at the municipal level," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 885, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Leandro De Magalhães, 2012. "Incumbency Effects in Brazilian Mayoral Elections:A Regression Discontinuity Design," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 12/284, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2013. "Governor’s term and information disclosure: Evidence from Japan," MPRA Paper 45848, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Caseette, Aurélie & Farvaque, Etienne, 2013. "Are Elections Debt Brakes? Evidence from French Municipalities," MPRA Paper 48808, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stephan Litschig & Kevin Morrison, 2012. "Government Spending and Re-election: Quasi-Experimental Evidence from Brazilian Municipalities," Working Papers 515, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Lucie Sedmihradská & Rudolf Kubík & Jakub Haas, 2011. "Political Business Cycle in Czech Municipalities," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2011(1), pages 59-70.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.